PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111

Sam 30-06
03-02-2010, 09:07 PM
First off i want to say hi, i'm new here and to Savage rifles. i looked around the site and there seems to be alot of good info and knowdlegeable people here. i've heard about how acurate the Savage rifles are out of the box so i decided to buy one, its the mod. 111 in 30-06 with a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope, my question is how acurate will this rifle really be out of the box, i know adjustments will need to be made as i'm not new to shooting, but i was wondering just how acurate these rifles really are, the salesman wasn't sure if the rifle was even boresighted at the factory or anything.

goblin141
03-02-2010, 09:59 PM
My wife has a Mark II 22 bolt rifle, I, my 2 sons and my daughter have Model 93 BTVSS 17HMRs and I am getting my Model 10 FCP-K together for next saturday. My wife who is 62 can hit was she aims at with her 22, the 17s are so accurate that my oldest keeps shaking his head each time he shoots, cant believe he doesnt miss. These are accurate and fun. Be good to it and it will reward you back.

GUNFANATIC
03-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Yes, that new 111 is gonna be accurate out of the box. As for adjustments, you may very well not even need any. About all I usually do to my plastic stocked rifles is file or dremmel down the inside edges of the barrel channel, so that any flex in the stock won't contact the barrel. Just depends on what you want to do, but all of mine have plenty accurate as is.

ellobo
03-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Savages are notorious for coppering up. If accuracy drops off, check for copper buildup. Accuracy out of the box will be phenominal usually. Check to be sure the barrel and tang are floating and you should be good to go.

El Lobo

7mmstw
03-03-2010, 12:44 PM
A 111 accurate? I guess if you call .463" center to center accurate shot from the hood of a pickup. Oh did I mention it is in .300Win Mag? The only thing I did is to replace the p.o.j. scope that came on it with a known preforming high quality scope.
Heck yes they can be accurate.
As for copper fouling mine cleans in about 3 patches. Very little to no copper fouling found.
This BBL. was shot with no break in just straight out of the box as it was to be a switch BBl. platform. I don't need a .300 Win Mag as I hunt with 7 stw.
I made the all time mistake of shooting this Savage and now I will look to get another one for the switch BBl rifle plat form.
What I have just said is gospel, Fact.

psharon97
03-03-2010, 05:42 PM
One of the biggest mistakes I've ever made is selling a stock savage barrel on this forum that put a one hole 3 shot group at 200 meters. I miss that barrel.

Sam 30-06
03-03-2010, 08:10 PM
i can't wait to get to the range and see what this rifle can do, i'm planning on replacing the scope and mounts but i'm not sure what i'm going to use, probably something in the 4-16x50 range. i figure i'll use it as is for the time being as there are still a few months to go before deer season comes around again.

wbm
03-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Have a neighbor who recently got a Savage in 30-06. If you have a sporter barrel it will get your attention in the recoil department. Also, you may find that factory rounds are not the best thing to feed your new pet. Some shoot factory stuff well and some don't. But don't get discouraged and do by all means reload! Also stay away from Remington shooters for a while. They are not nice people and say mean things about Savage rifles. ;D