PDA

View Full Version : Green Bullets

Sitting Duck
12-22-2013, 04:03 PM
What is your take on these bullets. Accuracy, knock-down, cost, etc. over conventional lead projectiles.

If there is a thread relating to this, please point me to it.

bootsmcguire
12-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Only real experience I have with "Green" bullets is the Barnes bullets. Mostly the Varmint Grenades. I had decent luck with the 26gr bullets in the 204 Ruger. They would literally explode small things like tree rats and cottontails. I also tried some 62gr'ers in the 243 Win and they did ok. Seemed to knock things over fairly well, they seemed to prefer slightly slower powders than their conventional cup-n-core counterparts of similar weights. I may watch and grab another box of them in the near future and try them in my 6-06, after I work out a load for the 105s I am currently trying.

thermaler
12-22-2013, 06:00 PM
What is a green bullet? As far as I know color of a bullet has no effect on it's performance.

bootsmcguire
12-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Green, often a term used to refer to an item that is supposed to be more eco-friendly. ;)

Also called lead-free bullets.

FW Conch
12-22-2013, 06:12 PM
I think he means the "all copper, etc." bullets approved for "kalifornia" etc. I have used the Barnes TTSX on deer and they work well. They open up to a perfect mushroom, all my shots have been "pass through's", and a surprise to me, there was almost no "blood shot" meat. Because of the exceptional performance, one can use lighter weight bullets than the lead cores. For instance, I use 80grns in my 250-3000 and it dropped my last 2 bucks like a sack of rocks. :-)

missed
12-22-2013, 06:33 PM
I had wondered about using copper bullets you should be able to have a higher BC and vld in the same mass as a lead core bullet.