PDA

View Full Version : New PTG bolt face for LRPV

old_dood
12-21-2013, 08:38 PM
several months ago I posted that I'd ordered a bolt face for my LRPV. The purpose was due to cratering of primers most likely due to an oversized FP hole in the stock Savage part. The part finally came in with a little card that said it should be installed by a gunsmith who should adjust headspace and remove several thousandths off the back of the lugs to fit them to my action. I ordered a GO guage and adjusted the headspace myself by putting scotch tape on the guage to act as a NOGO. I removed the extractor and FP from the bolt and got easy bolt close with the GO and absolutely no bolt closure with the scotch tape on the guage. I've read many times that people get about 1/4 or so closure on their NOGO guage. Does it sound like I did this all correctly. What about not "fitting of the locking lugs". I shot the rifle today and the primers no longer crater. There might be very very slight bolt lift resistance. Could that be because because of how tight the bolt was using my "faux" NOGO guage. This is a .223 and my load is 25.5g N140 pushing 69g SMK.

silverduck
12-23-2013, 06:56 PM
That is exactly how I head spaced my .223 and it is perfect after a 1000 rounds.I shoot a 80G. SMK@ 2920 in F-class with it.

old_dood
12-23-2013, 08:09 PM
thanks Duck. I was mainly asking due to the slight bolt lift tightness as I don't remember having it before.

BillPa
12-23-2013, 11:11 PM
I was mainly asking due to the slight bolt lift tightness as I don't remember having it before.

Just a guess but if you measure both sets of lugs you might find the PTG's are a few thousandths thicker front to back decreasing the length from the primary extraction cam to the abutments. The lugs are still engaged while the PE cam is trying to force the bolt rearward.

To test it, loosen the BAS a turn or so to decrease the amount of PE then try it. If the lift is normal then the rear of the PTG lugs need to be shortened.

Why...

The part finally came in with a little card that said it should be installed by a gunsmith who should adjust headspace and remove several thousandths off the back of the lugs to fit them to my action.

Bill

old_dood
12-24-2013, 11:31 AM
I'll be trying a 1/2g less charge next time I shoot it and , if that doesn't work, open up the headspace so that I get that slight closure on the no-go. If no good, I'll consider a gunsmith.