PDA

View Full Version : .223 velocity 55 grain with CFE223

Troymn
12-21-2013, 04:02 PM
What velocity should I be getting? LC brass,CCI 400 primer, Nosler 55 FBHP, CFE223 Savage 11-VT
26.0 grains-2947 SD17
26.5 grains-2992 SD 9:thumb:
27.0 grains-3068 SD 14
Approx 1 MOA 3 shot groups
Rounds 35-65 fired through the barrel with this test. VERY little copper when cleaned.

Per Hodgons website 27.4 is max load with velocity in the 3300 range. Their test rifle was 1-12" twist vs the 1-9".
The standard 193 FMJ was 3365 out of the gun, so I pretty sure the chrono is correct.

I have 3 other bullets coming to test, Hornady 75hpbt and 2 other 55 grain poly tipped flat base. Hoping one of the bullets jumps out with a 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups. I hope the 75 shoots well because I have been shooting midrange and would like it if the .223 shot just as well as my .308 out to 600yds.

dirtdigger
12-21-2013, 10:13 PM
The velocity you got seems a little on the slow side to me. I 'd try to increase the charge a bit if you are after the max speed and if the pressure signs are in check. Different gun here but I 'm in the 27-ish grains with W748 in my Mini 14 and that powder is a tiny bit faster according to Hodgdon's site. The load is quite warm though! The max charge for CFE with 55s is actually 27.8 on the site which doesn't of course guarantee that you either will reach it or be limited by it on the other hand, granted you have enough space in a case. As always, proceed prudently and with caution!

Westcliffe01
12-21-2013, 11:25 PM
If you can reliably weigh to 0.1gr, you should load from 26.5 upwards in 0.2gr increments until you get pressure signs. 0.5 gr steps are too large for a case with such a small volume.

darkker
12-22-2013, 01:56 AM
What velocity should I be getting?:thumb:

That is up to your gun. CFE in my 204 runs a bit slower than published data suggests. Runs noticeably quicker in my 308.

And don't waste your time loading .1gr of powder. There isn't a powder on this planet with a nominal burning rate tight enough for that amount to be noticeable. And no powder was ever designed to be loaded by weight anyway. It is all designed, and loaded around volume.

Dummos
12-22-2013, 07:09 AM
You cpuld afford a bit hotter load. I get 2870 out of 25gr of varget with am 80.5gr berger

Troymn
12-22-2013, 05:16 PM
I loaded up a few more five-27.1,27.4 and ten 27.7 and 28.0 we will give that a try.
I have hear Savages shoot better after many rounds down the tube, and some shoot better dirty.
In general is 65 rounds enough to see the groups start to tighten?
For me 65 rounds is not much, but I know other guns that have been around since the 70's with less than 60 through them.

mikein
12-22-2013, 08:10 PM
Troymn, trying to accurately predict what your MV will be on any given rifle, bullet, powder, primer combination is really not possible. Your chronograph is the only thing that can tell you. While you might see some small changes in MV as you run more rounds through your rifle, the difference will not be statistically significant. Find yourself a load that hits where you're aiming it first. Then break out the chrony and let it tell you what MV you're getting! Choose accuracy over velocity every time.

cowboy318
02-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Troymn, trying to accurately predict what your MV will be on any given rifle, bullet, powder, primer combination is really not possible. Your chronograph is the only thing that can tell you. While you might see some small changes in MV as you run more rounds through your rifle, the difference will not be statistically significant. Find yourself a load that hits where you're aiming it first. Then break out the chrony and let it tell you what MV you're getting! Choose accuracy over velocity every time.

:thumbup:

scope eye
02-05-2014, 11:52 AM

I have found that when you hit a certain threshold, speed and accuracy start to go hand in hand, but that threshold is sometimes higher than some folks feel comfortable with.

Dean

SK13R
02-05-2014, 02:53 PM
I noticed about the same velocities as you are getting with 55s in my 20" 1-9. It was slower than published with the 40's and 70's as well. I don't have my data on hand but could dig it up later if you were interested. As far as the barrel accuracy is concerned, my .223 savage is starting to settle in on groups now about 150ish rounds through it. Might be my loads are getting dialed or I'm getting better too though ;)