PDA

View Full Version : Cases for go gauge

KTP
12-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Anyone use a sized case as a go gauge ? I know all the reasons to use the appropriate gauges (I have several) but was just curious.

stangfish
12-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Its like a rule or something. Did you check the Faq section? I thought all Savage guys that hand load used a sized case if they didn't have a gauge.

seanhagerty
12-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Ive used unfired new cases too!!!

MacDR
12-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Since a Go gauge simply determines that cases that meet SAAMI specs will chamber I presume any FL case will serve this purpose. IMHO the more critical gauge is the No-Go as it is used to identify excessive headspace. A positive result with a No-go is usually followed up by a Field gauge which dertermines if the excessive headspace exceeds a safe maximum. This condition can result in casehead seperation, neck splits and bolt damage. Reloaders shoud be aware that even though a chamber that measured No-go passes the Field gauge test that the spent cases from this chamber may not be suitable for reloading. They may be stretched and weakened at the casehead. The classic telltale is a shiny ring around the casehead. Take a bent paper clip and you can actually feel the groove inside the case corresponding with this ring.

Both my 99f (308) and Remington 760 (35 rem) have what I would call generous headspace. I neck size cases for these two chambers so they only stretch to take up this room once. This helps prolong case life. The 35 has a very shallow shoulder and neck splits will show up on the second firing if I FL size.

KTP
12-20-2013, 11:47 PM
Thanks, good info. Understand what go & no-go gauges are designed to do. I'm mostly curious about those that are successfully using casings for headspace.

MacDR
12-21-2013, 11:21 AM
Sorry LRput. I didn't mean to state the obvious to those like yourself who know how to use chamber gauges. My reply was more for those who do not. I have read about a technique to use a spent case to measure headspace. It involves using aluminum tape placed on the base of the case. The tape thickness is known and can be added to the length of a FL sized case. Add layers and when the firing pin hole leaves a slight impression in the tape you have a close approximation of chamber length, bolt face to shoulder. It sounds plausible but then you need a reliable method of measuring this length. A machist can make a tapered hole that matches a specific calibers shoulder angle and depth. Make this in 3/4 inch aluminum stock and cut a slot and threaded hole to fit a comparator gauge and you have a way to measure case length. I have toyed with the idea but never gone beyond this as I adjust my dies to getting a small amount of resistance to bolt lock-up. Any used gun I buy has headspace checked before I hand over the cash. Some actions are prone to developing headspace issues as the action wears with use. My Remington 760 was made in 1953. It has a rotary, interrupted thread bolt locking system that has worn a bit. This I believe is why it has generous headspace.

If you find more info on cases as gauges I would be interested in hearing it..

FW Conch
12-21-2013, 03:09 PM
A while back I put together a 250 Savage. Along with the barrel I ordered 50 cases. I picked a case that looked good and set the head space to it, very slightly on the snug side. I then cycled the other 49 cases through the action, observing that they all felt pretty much the same. I did not use Scotch Tape to check No Go, because, personally, within reason, I could "care less" about No Go. I loaded 10 cases and "fire formed" them. Those 10 cases are now on their 10th reload and have been neck sized only. That little rifle is a "lazer beam" and I took my last 2 bucks with it. Now.... IMHO, setting headspace can be as simple as mentioned above, or it can be as complicated as any "Brother of the Barrel Nut" feels safe in taking it.

Again ... JMHO ;-) ... Good Luck-Good Shooting ... Jim

CharlieNC
12-21-2013, 03:25 PM
I have only used sized brass to set the headspace, with tape to assure the "no-go" setting. Then I measure the headspace by measuring the case, then insert a primer and run the case in, re-measure and the difference is the headspace. Normal is .003" and if you like it tight then .002". I read about this technique on the board here and it works well to determine the actual HS vs just a go/no-go range. FYI the only complete Savage rifle I have purchased measured .003".

stangfish
12-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Every time a sized case or any case is used to set the headspace for that matter, it is being set relative to the size of the brass not SAAMI or whoevers specs. If your dies dimensions are correct and they are set up to duplicate factory ammo then everything will end up pretty close to SAAMI specs providing you use common sense. Otherwise everything is just based off the way your dies are set up.