PDA

View Full Version : Any McGowan 7mm Rem Mags out there?

GOODWIN
12-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Got a question...

I'm just about finished with my build (I know man-law states I must post pics...coming soon). Sporting a McGowan 7mm Rem Mag bull contour on 111 action. My bro is going to reload some for me but he's in another state. Critical info he needs is the OAL of where to start on the reloads. I plan on trying the 175gr Accubond LR. Unfortunately he doesn't have access to my rifle as I have it with me. Anyway I can accurately come up with a good OAL for him to start reloading for me? I don't have access to a reloading press where I'm at to fit a test round to the lands. Thought maybe someone would have the same barrel and could share their info or someone in the know could tell me a way to measure. Thanks.

FW Conch
12-20-2013, 01:39 PM
In your situation, my suggestion would be for your friend to use the COAL listed in the published reload data. Information from someone else's rifle doesn't translate to yours. There are easy ways to determine these dimensions, but it doesn't sound like you are set up to do it because you need some basic reload equipment and cases and bullets. Good Luck-Good Shooting ;-)

Dennis
12-20-2013, 07:17 PM
I pulled a box of Factory Federal 7 mag off the shelf, 175 soft points, total COAL measured 3.250

I also measured ones loaded with 160 grain bullets, the COAL was 3.277

A reloading manual is probably the best source for info.

Dennis

thirty06
12-22-2013, 08:44 AM
Sacrifice a piece of fired brass. Split the neck lengthwise in 3-4 places. Deburr it, slip bullet in case, chamber, measure, repeat