PDA

View Full Version : Rate these barrels. Comments welcome.

Code4
12-20-2013, 02:07 AM
In what order of quality would you rate these barrels in S/S.
I have listed only the ones I have access too. In Australia we don't have access to the wide choice of barrels available in the USA.

Hart
Shilen
Douglas
Green Mountain
Krieger
Lilja
Lothar Walther

Comments welcome.

bootsmcguire
12-20-2013, 02:27 AM
Shilen is good stuff, I have not personally owned one yet, but a couple buddies have had them and they were very pleased.

The one Douglas I had shot well.

I have 2 Green Mountains so far. One is proving to be the most accurate barrel I have had to date, cleans easy. The other requires some more testing but so far is proving to be an MOA shooter with factory ammo, and I have confidence that handloads will improve that. this one is appearing to be a bit of a copper mine though. Once I get my lathe I will be buying more of their blanks if that says anything. Most people feel they are on the cheaper end of things, but the accuracy I am getting thus far leans my opinion to them being a good value based on accuracy vs. cost.

I cannot rate the other based off of personal experience as to the best of my recollection I have not owned any of those as of yet, but all of them have great reputations.

82boy
12-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Honesty no one can accurately rate these barrels, any one of these company's are capable of making a Hummer or a bummer. Every barrel has its own personality, it will have things that it likes, and things that it don't like, this is were a knowable load tuner shines. For the most part all high end aftermarket barrels are on par with each other. Then your list is also not comparing apple to apples either. Some say that a cut rifled barrel will last long, and have a slight edge on accuracy, I cant say either way in my experience. I would consider what Benchrest shooters are using, as this would give you some idea of what has the edge.

Douglas was one of the first aftermarket barrel makers around, in there long time of operations that have produced many winning competition barrels. At one time this barrel dominated Benchrest, now you don't see many of them on the equipment list. They produce a button rifles barrel.

Hart is the next oldest barrel maker, and thought out the years they have produced many winning competition barrels. At one time they dominated Benchrest, there is still a few that are die hard Hart fans and you see a few of them on the equipment list. They are a button rifled barrel, and are in the price range of a cut rifled barrel.

Shilen has been around about as long as Hart, and through out the years they have produced many winning competition barrels. As the other at one time they dominated Benchrest, with famed shooting legend Tony Boyer, dominating everything with them. Today you see a few Shilen barrels in the equipment list, Tony no longer shoots them. They are a button rifled barrel.

Lilja to start Dan Lilja is a famed Benchrest shooter and has been shooting since the 1970 There has been a lot of Lilja barrels that have won many competitions. To this day you see the name on equipment list. This is a button rifles barrel at the same price range as Hart, and cut rifled barrels.

Krieger, what is there to say about Krieger, at this point and time they dominate Benchrest competition. Tony Boyer has chosen to use them. At this time it will be the hardest barrel to get your hands of out of your list. They have produced many top notch winning barrels. They are a cut rifled barrel.

Lothar Walther , and Green mountain, I don't know what to say about them. Neither of them are seen on Benchrest equipment list. Walther is a famed German firearms maker, that his highly regarded. Green Mountain is the go to guys for Ruger 10/22 barrels. Both of these barrels are button rifled. They are both at a lower cost than many the other mentioned.

Me personally how I would rank your choices on my experience would be Krieger on top, Hart, Shilen, Douglas and Lilja tied at second, with the tie breaker being cost, putting Shilen out in the front. All the others after that. You missed some very good barrel makers in your list, I don't know if you don't list them due to importation stuff, or what. But I would Look at Brux, and Bartline, right now these barrels are hot, they are both cut rifled, and are winning many match's in Benchrest, and are seen fairly regular on equipment list. Right now Brux is dominating 600 and 1000 yard Benchrest, and has a few records in short range. You may also want to consider McGowan, as I would rank them higher than green mountain, and Walther. They are not see on Benchrest list, but I would say they are on Par with Shilen and Douglas. Hope this helps.

Code4
12-20-2013, 07:20 PM
That is a very comprehensive and welcomed reply. Thank you.

You are correct, it is a matter of supply down under. It's very much a matter of grab what you can when available :( Not being a bench rest shooter, I have never heard of Brux barrels however I believe there are a few Bartleine barrels floating around.

Again, many thanks for taking the time to reply. It gives me something to work on now, where as before I had nothing.

82boy
12-20-2013, 07:53 PM
There are a few Great Benchrest shooters in the land down under. I wish I could get the powder you guys can. Brux is a fairly new company it is in the land of cut rifled barrel in Wisconsin. (Boots obermyer, Krieger, Bartline, Rock creek, are also all up there, and they are all somehow connected IE employee worked here left started his own business .etc.) There is another company starting out up there and they should be producing great barrels soon, so look out for them.

DanSavage
12-21-2013, 05:27 PM
I was going to say that Bartline, Krieger, Hart, Shilen, Brux and Rock Creek are all popular at the match's around here. They all are very high quality barrels, probably put Krieger at top with Shilen, Bartline, and Hart right behind.

silverduck
12-23-2013, 06:59 PM
I have 2 Shilen barrels on my Savages that are amazing!

squirrelsniper
12-23-2013, 11:38 PM
You can get good and bad in any barrel, no matter the maker's reputation or price, but for me.....
(#1 being favorite, #7 being least favorite)

1. Krieger
2. Lilja
3. Hart
4. Shilen
5. Lothar Walther
6. Douglas
7. Green Mountain

I don't know about availability in Australia, but I'd rank Rock Creek barrels right up there near the top, maybe as good as Krieger.

Once again, I don't know about how the pricing is in Australia, but here in the US, Shilen may be the best choice if you don't have extra money to throw around.

Again, this list is subjective. You can get good and bad in any brand. Also, a lot of it depends on who does the threading, chambering, and crowing. Anywhere along the way, what could have been a great barrel can become just an okay barrel.

missed
12-24-2013, 10:27 AM
For me it's

Krieger
Shilen

I don't have experience with the others with the exception of the green mountain that's on my 10/22 and it's been great.