PDA

View Full Version : Will A New Savage 12FV Have The Accu-Stock?

Kawabuggy
03-02-2010, 11:57 AM
I was looking at a new Savage 12FV and was wondering if they will have the Accu-Stock or not? The gun does have the Accu-Trigger, is heavy barreled, with the polished blue finish, in .223... Will it be a centerfeed rifle? I'm going to buy it at lunch time and was hoping it had some of the updates.

dieselten
03-02-2010, 12:15 PM
I saw a new one at Dicks sporting goods this week and it was a generic tuperware stock. The Savage web site says this model does not have an accustock

whitetail8827
03-02-2010, 01:08 PM
My 12BTCSS 223 does not have one.

TnTom
03-02-2010, 01:11 PM
I think just the long range hunters have the accustock. It seems to me that there was only a few models. The 111 and 11 LRH do.

Kawabuggy
03-02-2010, 07:38 PM
I went at lunch today to Sports Authority and bought a brand new Savage 12FV in .223 for $399 + Tax. $431.92 out the door. Has the 26" polished blue barrel, Accu-Trigger, "bulge" in the forestock area. Also has some type of floating barrel system in which there is a fairly large gap (1/4") around the barrel in front of the barrel nut going forward. I think this was a good price.

Hoping to mount a scope on this gun and get it to the range this weekend. Hoping for some decent groups after load development. Anyone want to offer me a starting recipe for this gun? I have on hand Varget & IMR-4320 powder, R-P cases, CCI SR primers, Hornady V-max 55 grain bullets.

This will be my first experience with this caliber so any advice for reloading for it will be much appreciated. I already load for 22-250, 243, 6MM, 25-06, 270, 7MM, 30-30, 30-06, & 300 Win. Mag, but shoot mostly the larger calibers more often. I've been shooting Varget in the -250 and really like it.

I actually got this .223 to get my son into shooting centerfires. He has mastered the Savage 93R in .17HMR that I got him 2 years ago, but now I need to step him up to something a little larger. This gun will teach him how to load a blind box magazine, how the bolt works, how to properly clean it, and all that goes with taking care of a nice rifle. I also plan on teaching him to reload for this gun. Never too soon to start teaching them.

docsleepy
03-02-2010, 08:16 PM
well, you got a good deal!
much better than the deal I got a year ago!

MikeCTX
03-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Think you did real good, while not the AccuStock, the newer plastic stocks are pretty nice. I have one, with the beaver tail forearm on my Model 11, and I like it. Would get some 69gr Sierra Match Kings and some Varget, light em with either Rem 7 1/2 primers or one of the small rifle magnums (CCI 450's or Wolf) - something like that....you will be surprised how good it will shoot. Give the barrel a few rounds to settle down - and you may have trouble getting it away from your son.

Kawabuggy
03-03-2010, 10:52 AM
I was not sure what the twist rate was on the barrel so I did some research and what I found is that it has the 1:9 twist rate, and people are recommending the 69 grain BTHP! MikeCTX you were right on the money.

My son will probably be shooting squirrels with this gun so I'd like to stick to the 55 grainers which my Google search showed will be fine in this barrel as well.

Can't wait to shoot it. I was looking for something economical on reloading supplies and this caliber seems to use about half, to one-third, of what most other calibers I shoot require in powder for each load. This should equate to more shooting at a lower cost. Well, that's the theory anyway.

wildwv
03-03-2010, 05:39 PM
I have a BVSS 223 with the 1 and 9 twist and use 40 gr. Seirra Varminters and a mild dose of 4320. It shoots great and really whacks the groundhogs hard. I have not had good luck with the 69gr. bullets in my gun but I only punch paper at 100yrds and they say that 69 gr. bullets start grouping better at longer distances.