PDA

View Full Version : Bedding factory stock???

Maxxwell86
12-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Is it worth the trouble to free float and bed using the factory tupperware stock on a 111?

RP12
12-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Free float yes, bed not so much.

pdog06
12-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Its good to practice your bedding. The issue with the factory stocks is that they have too much flex, which bedding or stiffening the forearm will not take away. The flex point seems to be in the recoil lug area.

I have done a couple and it made me feel better that it was done, and it made the barrel straight in the stock, but I cannot say that it made it shoot any better.

squirrelsniper
12-19-2013, 08:51 PM
I'll basically echo what has already been said. The barrel should be free floated, which might be as simple as some sandpaper if you don't want to bed the action. If you have never bedded a stock before, it would be a good stock to practice on, as it's not too hard to find take-off tupperware if you ruin the stock. I've bedded a few, but I can't say I saw any drastic difference in accuracy. I was basically bored and bedded them hoping I'd hit upon something magical.

mattri
12-20-2013, 04:40 PM
I think bedding the factory stock is well worth the time and minimal cost involved. You get a much more stable, stiffer, more accurate platform. Here's a couple pics of a bedded factory stock:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?20254-Ultimate-%28budget%29-Hunter-pics-and-range-report&highlight=ultimate+budget

Maxxwell86
12-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Its good to practice your bedding. The issue with the factory stocks is that they have too much flex, which bedding or stiffening the forearm will not take away. The flex point seems to be in the recoil lug area.

This might be a good way to try out JB weld bedding. My last bedding job was with accraglass in a wood stock. Worked well but I'd like to learn more options. Of course free floating is a given. i usually bed the first inch or so of the barrel.

big honkin jeep
12-21-2013, 12:24 AM
I think it is time well spent. There is no harm in perfectly mating an action to a stock that I'm aware of :) I bed from the recoil lug back. I also relieve some of the plastic around the pillars so you don't get the JB too thin. Drilling small opposing holes to get a mechanical lock of the epoxy to the bedded stock is also a good idea. Good luck have fun and let us know how it turns out.

eddiesindian
12-21-2013, 03:33 PM
If its a 3 point accustock, I wouldnt even bother with it. The accustock,s aluminum block is (IMO) well engineer,d. The exteriors appearance lends itself to what looks like a flimzy stock but the design at the block is what matters.
I replaced my accustock on my model 10 fcp-k for the sole purpose of having the feel and look of a tactical rig. Once I develop,d an accurate load with the rifle dress,d with a tactical stock, I exchanged the stocks and installed the factory accustock and it changed my poi by maybe by 1/2" but the groups stayed the same...nice and tight.
As others have said......if you got the time and wanna indulge...by all means, after all.............its in our dna to "at times" not leave well enuff alone...Ill be the 1st to admitt