PDA

View Full Version : A few more stoopid questions.

fgw_in_fla
12-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Can .243 brass be sized down to 22-250?

What's the degree of difficulty - on a scale of 1 to 10?

Is this something a "green" reloader can do without too much trouble?

Standard dies used?

Trying to help someone out & I don't shoot any .224" caliber rifles. This week.

Thanks.
Frank in Fla

darkker
12-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Can .243 brass be sized down to 22-250?

What's the degree of difficulty - on a scale of 1 to 10?

Is this something a "green" reloader can do without too much trouble?

Standard dies used?

Trying to help someone out & I don't shoot any .224" caliber rifles. This week.

Thanks.
Frank in Fla

If you get out your reloading manual, you can compare the cases.
Yes, it is possible to do, but it is not an easy task; especially for a greenhorn. There are some significant differences in the Case head specs. At least theoretically, it can certainly be made to work, but your headspace will be affected, and your loads can't be interchanged between brass.

stomp442
12-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Yes it can be done. Does take a little work though. You will probably need to anneal the cases and size slowly. I make 250 savage cases from 308 all the time but I do it in steps. 308 to 300 savage then down to 250 then down to 22 if I need to. Since you are going from 243 it may be easier to neck up to 250 to move the shoulder then go ahead and go down to 22-250. I'm afraid you may have a lot of case failures if you try to neck down and move the shoulder in one step. May need to slightly turn the necks when your all done too. After getting them sized down to 22-250 I would anneal again to prevent split necks when firing. Its a process but I love reloading and I make my own brass for lots of different calibers from lake city match 308 and 06 cases.

fgw_in_fla
12-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Never mind.... I just opened the book (why didn't I think of that) and ran the numbers. Looks a little too "iffy" for a greenie. Too many variables between the two.

Unless one of our more "seasoned" reloaders says its a piece of cake, I guess it's not a good idea.

Thanks for the input gents.

stomp442
12-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Its really not that hard just takes time. They will feed and function just fine. I have done it lots of times.

fgw_in_fla
12-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Its really not that hard just takes time. They will feed and function just fine. I have done it lots of times.

That's what I've been waiting to see.
I've done .308 to 7mm-08 & back again, .243 I have an abundance of, but the 22-250 is not real familiar.

Thanks.
I appreciate your input.

davemuzz
12-19-2013, 03:09 PM
I can't help ya out here Frank. I've always just bot 22-250. But I'm guessing it must be in short supply right now?

Dave

fgw_in_fla
12-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Dave can't help???

Our resident seer of all things reloading? Can't help?
Our resident knower of all that needs knowing? Can't help?

I'm crushed.....

It's a combination of low availability & resources not being in abundance. A project for our resident new guy. One that I'm sure will be brimming with questions once he gets into full reload swing....

You know what I mean. We've all been there.

And when are you gonna change that picture. Starting to resemble my 2nd ex-wife after a night of drinking....
Her drinking, not mine.

davemuzz
12-19-2013, 10:04 PM
Dave can't help???

Our resident seer of all things reloading? Can't help?
Our resident knower of all that needs knowing? Can't help?

I'm crushed.....

Nah….don't be crushed. Just buy some 22-250 brass. And your 2nd ex is that good looking….eh?

Dave

fgw_in_fla
12-20-2013, 04:23 AM
Ahhh, you know how it is.
They look great when you first meet them then they pull the 'ol 5 - 7 lbs a year trick on ya. After 12 years she took up a new hobby. Drinking & playing bumper cars. That's when I bailed.

My sister swears I drove her to drink....