PDA

View Full Version : 62/64-Series: Has the Model 64 died?!?!

mazda3gun
12-19-2013, 10:33 AM
I haven't sifted through pages of threads too much, but I definitely don't see anything fairly recent about Model 64's! WHY NOT?! Have they become THAT obsolete?
I think, not too sure about it, that I'd like to find a tri-rail option for it. Is there one made for them?

rocklobster
12-19-2013, 12:19 PM
Hi, I dont know much about a tri rail option but I have seen some people attach rails to the stock with screws.

Anyway I hope that the 64 is not obsolete I just bought a stainless one last week. I know that they are not as popular as the 10/22 or even the Marlin 795 / 60 models but they seem really nice to me and they are made just down the road from where I live.

I have not had a chance to shoot it yet because it is my Christmas present, but I hope it shoots well.

I am interested in hearing what others may chime in as well.

mazda3gun
12-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Yeah, I'm not 100% on the tri rail. Maybe a canted rail would be better for what I want.
I like the option of using a scope I just bought for long range target use, if I get into comps, and for picking off squirrel at a distance. But I'd also like to throw on a laser for plinking.
Of course I'm keeping the iron sights on it too for close up shots, but don't want peep-thru rings. Oh, the agony!! HAHAHA!

RP12
12-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Maybe a more aggressive marketing campaign would help, as these rifles are awesome.

rocklobster
12-19-2013, 05:45 PM
I would like to try the MCARBO trigger spring kit, has anybody done the mod here?

These really are fine semi .22s they just do not have many aftermarket parts and upgrades available.

mazda3gun
12-19-2013, 06:00 PM
I've heard a lot about their trigger pull, which doesn't seem to affect me for what I currently use the gun for (hunting and plinking). I mean, do you really need to dump the lil 10rnd mag in half a second?! No, probably not lol. The 64 shoots plenty fast for me anyway. But, a lil love on the sear and fixing the play before engagement will help nearly any gun, from any manuf.
As for the aftermarket, it is quite thin. But I didn't want a 10/22, it's like driving a V6 or a GT 'Stang, they're like a plague!!! I step away from the norm and get a lil weird.

fartsinpublic
12-19-2013, 11:11 PM
... I'd like to find a tri-rail option for it. Is there one made for them?

I have a Savage tri-rail sitting in my range box from my Mark II TRR-SR. I can measure the mount hole spacing, see if it matches up with my wife's Model 64 TR-SR. I'll post a pic of it later.

I would like to try the MCARBO trigger spring kit, has anybody done the mod here?

I put the MCARBO kit on her Model 64 TR-SR. I recall being glad that I did, and noticing a definite improvement, but it was a while back, so I can't even remember what the original pull was like; it was grittier, I seem to recall, and definitely heavier.

(It isn't really light like my Apachee Trigger'd Mark II, but it is lighter than as delivered. Still has a bit of creep and a wee bit of wobble. I think I need to work on the pivot pins to eliminate the latter, but the wife doesn't complain. She doesn't shoot my bolt rifles for the point of comparison.)

fartsinpublic
12-19-2013, 11:15 PM
These really are fine semi .22s they just do not have many aftermarket parts and upgrades available.

Yup, and they don't need much aftermarket, just a few key bits.

Bob at D.I.P. has come up with stronger bottom metal with longer screws, and a revised mag release (hooray!) which you'll likely desire if you have experienced that tiny buried mag release...

mazda3gun
12-26-2013, 09:24 AM
I guess my title really must be true.... All the recent threads are about B-Mags, Mk 1's, 2's, and Rascals.

I learned a long time ago, "If it aint broke don't fix it". There's not a thing wrong with my 64, other than it's a pain to strip to clean at times(compared to the 110, the 350, and my SR40). But I'll stand by it and say it's the best shooting .22 FOR ME, IN MY HANDS, than a Marlin, Rem., or Win.

mazda3gun
12-26-2013, 09:28 AM
I'll stop fluffing up now, LOL!

Anywho..... So who's had luck finding a longer charging handle for the Mod. 64????
I work at a major corporation that manufactures conveyor belt accessories and the shop guys could easily fashion something up for me. I just don't want them welding on a piece of round bar hahaha!

fartsinpublic
12-26-2013, 11:31 AM
So who's had luck finding a longer charging handle for the Mod. 64????

http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1027680&CAT=3602

http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=999085&CAT=3602

mazda3gun
12-26-2013, 11:55 AM
I'm glad you fartsinpublic! LOL! Someone needs to clear the crowd.

Thanks, I'll check 'em out!

mazda3gun
12-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Wonder if I could thread the handle and put a skull on it? Didn't say what it was made from.

And a larger mag release would be nice, but not totally needed. Decisions.....

fartsinpublic
12-26-2013, 12:48 PM
I'm glad you fartsinpublic! LOL! Someone needs to clear the crowd.

For some reason, the adjacent downwind shooting bench is always empty. What a coincidence! ;)

Wonder if I could thread the handle and put a skull on it? Didn't say what it was made from.

Keep it lightweight since it cycles with each fired round.

(My laymen's opinion on the handle is that it is light to keep the reciprocating mass low and allow cycling of as many different types of rounds, as well as keeping the assymetric weight of the bolt low so it moves straight backwards as much as possible. There's a few Model 64 Mod threads over on RFC, and I have seen folks tap in wooden dowels as well as pieces of copper (?) pipe to extend the charging handle.)

mazda3gun
12-26-2013, 02:35 PM
So, you think the existing(stock) handle can be drilled out and tapped for some sort of extension?

fartsinpublic
12-26-2013, 06:12 PM
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4775721&postcount=12