PDA

View Full Version : Neck sized brass,the gun hates it?????

Pages : [1] 2

willyp
12-18-2013, 07:31 AM
I am now with the second Savage rifle that doesn't like neck sized,fire formed brass! I have a few other,Savages that is,that do well with neck sizing. New,never fired brass shoots great,full length sized is close,but forget the neck sizing! I have tried a couple of different neck sized dies but it is the same results upon shooting????
I have 2 30-06's,one likes it the other don't! I had a 223,it was the same way. I gave up on it.
Any ideas on this problem!

snowgetter1
12-18-2013, 09:46 AM
I pretty much gave up on it too. Just always seemed to be some issues with clambering. My average size groups remained the same with full length sizing.

nso123
12-18-2013, 10:29 AM
I assume that you are neck sizing brass that was originally fired in the same rifle?

82boy
12-18-2013, 11:01 AM
I am now with the second Savage rifle that doesn't like neck sized,fire formed brass!
I have yet to find a gun that shot better with neck sizing brass, over fl sizing.

fgw_in_fla
12-18-2013, 11:44 AM
I full size every third firing. In between that I neck size. I can't say it's created dead nutz accurate ammo for me but it did give me greater consistency.
I've always relied on fine tuning the charge & seating depth for accuracy. And trigger time. Lots of trigger time.

As far as a particular rifle not liking neck sized brass, I find a little tweaking of the charge is sometimes in order.
Have you checked the case mouth diameter?
As in - is it the same as your full sized cases? My '06 likes a consistent .306" inside diameter - NS & FS brass. Any tighter or looser in the neck tension & I lose the consistency of my beloved '06.

missed
12-18-2013, 01:39 PM
I only full length every few firings also.

Have you tried to re setup your dies?

Bushing die or collet die?

Necks could be a bit big like said above, or I have seen some where the necks were really hard and all that pressure resizing the necks jacked the case up further down in the shoulder and body of the case.

stomp442
12-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Neck sized cases has always given me better results. I don't full length size until my cases tell me too. I don't even remember the last time a fl sized an 06. I bet I have 10 plus firings on my cases and they still chamber easily and provide half inch or better accuracy. My 22-250 requires fl sizing about every third or fourth firing but with no discernible difference in accuracy.

Are you using all the same head stamped cases? Have you checked them for volume to determine consistency?

squirrelsniper
12-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Over the years my methods have changed a bit. Ten years ago I was neck sizing everything until it was too hard to chamber then bumping the shoulder back just a bit and repeating the process. I found out it really wasn't helping my accuracy.

Most of my cases get partial sizing. In other words, a FL die, just not necessarily screwed in all the way. I usually like a .003" shoulder bump on most "normal" rifles, though a few "accuracy is the only goal" rifles only get a .002" bump.

There is one rifle however, that always gets complete full-length sizing. The chamber is slightly crooked. However, as long as the brass is FL-sized every time, it loads easily and is one of my better shooting rifles.

stangfish
12-18-2013, 06:31 PM
I full length size everything and anneal when the seating force requirements changes.

wbm
12-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Question was put to some well know bench rest shooters a while back. Most, including David Tubb, full length resize.

missed
12-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Question was put to some well know bench rest shooters a while back. Most, including David Tubb, full length resize.

Full length every time?

mikein
12-18-2013, 07:00 PM
My experience has been that some rifles respond well to NS, others, not so well. (I guess it must be a chamber issue or a bolt face squareness problem, but I'm not sure, since it doesn't always work) If I'm trying to wring the last little bit of accuracy out of a rifle, the LAST two things I do are NS and action screw torqueing. They rarely help, but every once in a while doing one or both of those two things will make a positive difference.

wbm
12-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Full length every time? Well sorta. Full length resize is a relative term. They don't have the budgetary constraints a lot of us do. So "full length resize" to them does not mean running it through an economy class RCBS die set.

bootsmcguire
12-18-2013, 09:04 PM
I have found that in most of my barrels NS is the way to go. In my 22-250 barrel it shrunk my groups in half by going to NS over the FL. I have also found that many factory Savage barrels have chambers that are off center and perhaps do not lend themselves to NS since the brass won't be at the same "clock" position the next time it is chambered in the barrel. Just a theory but.....

So far all the Savage barrel I have in my stock prefer the neck sizing and I practice it for all of my barrels but one, my 6-WSM. On my 6-WSM I used a pc of FL sized brass to set the headspace and I set it to the tightest I could get and still chamber comfortably. I use a 270WSM FL Bushing die with bushings for the 6mm,and completely FL size the case. Since the chamber is set to allow minimal case expansion anyway, I am not noticing the brass getting overworked like I have in other rifles. However, another complicating factor into that equation is that on the advice of the smith who chambered the barrel is that due to the extreme overbore of this chambering I am annealing these brass every 2 firings and in my other calibers I don't anneal until the brass forces me to.

mikein
12-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Boots, speaking of chamber orientation of the cartridges, a trick that I learned from shooting a lot of single shot rifles is to mark a "dot" on the cartridge head stamp, and then keep that dot at, say, 12 o'clock, every time I shoot it. Even with my magazine fed rifles, stacking the cartridges into the mag with the "dot" at 12 o'clock seems to help in some rifles. As you can tell, I'll try (and have tried!) just about everything in the book to shave off a few thousandths!

eddiesindian
12-18-2013, 09:42 PM
interesting thread here.....6 of some 1/2 dozen of the other.

I used to ns and crip yrs ago but i found no "factual" decrease in group size,s.
I fl everything,

n4ue
12-18-2013, 09:50 PM
I also have to go with the neck sizing theory, as being the way to go, in my rifle and handguns (bottleneck ctgs) I own. Now, having read everything I could find over the years of the different reloading practices, the theories of neck turning versus accuracy 'improvement' is one that still has me up in the air.
OK, I do not own BR quality rifles where the neck turning 'might' show improvement. However, I do have a half dozen "varmint" rifles that I have developed loads for. I have the tools to neck turn and inside neck ream. As many, many magazine articles have shown, I have not seen any improvement. However, when a 'factory' rifle (with a tuned trigger) and selected loads can shoot .2s and .3s at 100 yds, does it matter??

Lastly. David Tubb knows his 'stuff'. In spite of this fact (!!!!) I have never been able to get ONE person to discuss the aspect of HBN coating either their bullets or their bore. I do my own coatings. HBN, WS2, Moly, Moly with wax, etc.....
I do mostly HBN now, and out of the box, my rifles (most all mfg) will shoot groups that most folks can't believe....I refuse to shoot uncoated bullets. It's a simple process. Tubb uses it. Case closed. Or, as the Pres would say, "PERIOD"... ha ha
Why do people deny physics???? I don't understand, and really don't care. My bores stay virgin and clean so easy it's hard to believe. For many years I scrubbed bores trying to get the 'copper' out, using every chemical known to man. Now, it's NOT an issue... Yeah, you 'might' lose 50 fps. Just increase the powder a bit. You DO have a chronograph, right????

ron

JW
12-18-2013, 11:41 PM
I am now with the second Savage rifle that doesn't like neck sized,fire formed brass! I have a few other,Savages that is,that do well with neck sizing. New,never fired brass shoots great,full length sized is close,but forget the neck sizing! I have tried a couple of different neck sized dies but it is the same results upon shooting????
I have 2 30-06's,one likes it the other don't! I had a 223,it was the same way. I gave up on it.
Any ideas on this problem!

Will a fired round chamber ok in the rifle
Just curious
Jack

82boy
12-19-2013, 12:11 AM

I think you sentences can be a bit misunderstood. David Tubb is not a Benchrest shooter. Yes majority of competitive Benchrest shooters full length size their brass every firing, out of the list Tony Boyer, Jack Neary, Mike Rattigan for a short list of 100-300 yard shooters.

500 Stroker
12-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Over the years my methods have changed a bit. Ten years ago I was neck sizing everything until it was too hard to chamber then bumping the shoulder back just a bit and repeating the process. I found out it really wasn't helping my accuracy.

Most of my cases get partial sizing. In other words, a FL die, just not necessarily screwed in all the way. I usually like a .003" shoulder bump on most "normal" rifles, though a few "accuracy is the only goal" rifles only get a .002" bump.

There is one rifle however, that always gets complete full-length sizing. The chamber is slightly crooked. However, as long as the brass is FL-sized every time, it loads easily and is one of my better shooting rifles.

Please provide more info on how you accomplish and how you measure " shoulder bumping". Perhaps a step by step procedure or did you use someting that is in print?
Thanks in advance