PDA

View Full Version : ? on build

wisconsinteacher
12-17-2013, 10:39 PM
My build is going good, but I have a few questions. I used a go and no-go gauge to set the headspace for my 6mmBR. I did not take the extractor out of the bolt when I did this. I set it so the go gauge went with ease and the no-go closed 1/4 of the way. Am I okay? I also noticed that my bright stainless barrel has some slight scratches on it. What can I use to remove them? I also added pillars and bedded the action in Devcon. I have read that 30 in/lbs is standard on the action screws, is this correct?

Thanks, if all is good, I am ready to mount the scope and start loading up some ammo. If it needs to be fixed, I am at a point where I can do it now before I get too far.

Werewolf
12-18-2013, 02:10 AM
As far as your first question about headspace goes,that sounds perfect.

jpdown
12-18-2013, 02:24 AM
I don't removed the ejector or extractor when headspacing barrels. I follow the same process you describe using the proper go and no-go gauges. I do slowly pull back the bolt and check to make sure the gauge rim is seated in the bolt head and under the extractor. I use Flitz polish to remove light surface scratches from SS, You don't want to use anything too aggressive.