PDA

View Full Version : Eastern KY, Southeast OH, Western WV

mazda3gun
12-17-2013, 10:29 PM
Any members in the area know of any upcoming events? Or just want to get together and throw some lead?
Deer season's nearly over for KY and I get bored haha

ShawneeB
12-23-2013, 09:14 AM
I'm in south central. It's a wide state when ya get a drivin:o

mazda3gun
12-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Yes sir, it is! I'm a solid 2 hours from Lexington. I'm in Ashland, so I'm as far northeast as it gets.

sharpshooter
12-28-2013, 03:32 PM
The South East Ohio 600 yd Group and Score match has several events planned for this year. The range is located on Fred Golden's farm just south of Rio Grand, Ohio. The schedule is :

March 29
April 19
May 17
June 7
June 28
July 26
Aug 23
Sept 20
Oct 18
Nov 1
All matches are @ 600 yds, and there are 7 ways to win. For more info contact Bill Kosto at wkosto@aol.com.

mazda3gun
02-04-2014, 04:45 PM
I've seen TOO MANY folks that are within a few hours drive of myself (OH, KY, TN, WV) for us to not be shooting when weather fairs up. There have been several in the "Intro Yourself" section lately. I know ammo isn't so cheap anymore and fuel costs more than it should as well, but let's at least punch some paper this spring/summer/fall. I know of a couple ranges near me that have covered benches, multiple galleries to shoot, and are open on weekends. I'll have to check on prices and open times, but hopefully we can get something going.
A friend/coworker is building a small range at his house this spring/summer too. I plan on helping so I have a secure/safe/fun place to shoot, won't be much over 200yds, but still far enough to plink with centerfires, rims, and shotguns. The fact we have access to 1/4" and thicker steel plate is a plus too!

I'm ok with a possible 3 hour drive. Are you?

mazda3gun
02-11-2014, 11:22 AM
:frusty:

I know you guys/gals are out there! I've seent it lol!

Yes, it's cold, for now. But that'll pass...
I need to shoot something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stu
02-11-2014, 07:14 PM
Hey Mazda, I'm in Portsmouth, Oh. area. Would be up for shooting sometimes. I would like to find someplace to shoot over 700 yds. sometimes also.

mazda3gun
02-12-2014, 09:19 AM
Well, well... My persistence paid off, lol.

I'd like to find a place to shoot 700yds too! Without driving to central KY to do it, but there are a few members that live that direction.

I've heard of a range in Mid-North OH, not far from our area, that's fairly big, can't remember the name though.

Stu
02-12-2014, 07:20 PM
There are two that i'm aware of - Thunder Valley in Kimbolton, Oh. 43749, and Rayner's Range in Blue Rock, Oh. 43720. I think they're both a couple of hrs. away. I also think i've heard of a range somewhere around Galipolis, but, can't get any solid info on it.

I checked mapquest and they're both roughly 3 hrs. from Portsmouth.

mazda3gun
02-13-2014, 10:08 AM
That's a bit of haul! I can't remember the closer range either. There's a billboard on the side of a road in Proctorville, OH where I saw the ad for it. I think it is near Galipolis.
I know of a good range in my neck of the woods. The Ashland Gun Club in Rush, KY. Last time I was there it was clean, had a pistol range, rifle range, two trap/skeet ranges too.
And the venerable NorthEastern KY Fish n Game Club which costs an arm and a leg and rarely takes in new members.

I'll see what I can dig up on the other range I've seen the sign for and get back to ya. Keep an eye on this thread.

mazda3gun
02-27-2014, 12:50 PM
Well, after a lot of searching, there is NO WHERE within an hours' drive +/- that will allow someone range use for only a day. No public ranges have come to my attention yet. You have to know someone to vouch, then apply, the "Elders" deliberate about you and then have final say. Usual cost is $40 and UP for a year! Initial fees are about $10-20 more the first year.

Dang it! I just wanna shoot somewhere proper, I'll even pick up my own brass too. I'm a grown/growing young man and even learned how to pick up my own trash and wipe my own rear!

mazda3gun
06-26-2014, 08:41 AM
Here's ranges with 'Rifle' capability within 90 miles(as the crow flies) from MY zip. http://wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/wts_subresults.asp

There's also an upcoming gun/knife show this weekend! It's at the Shriner's Club here in town. http://www.gunshows-usa.com/Show%20pages/RK%20shows/Kentucky/RK%20Ashland%20gun%20show%20Kentucky.htm I know a few vendors that will be there and they're good folks too, they make deals, not money....well, not entirely, but you get the point. They won't shaft you! :)