PDA

View Full Version : Which action and stock question.

Buster95
12-17-2013, 05:33 PM
I have a McGowen 26" Savage bull barrel (1.00" muzzle) in 300 win mag, which action (complete rifle) and which stock will fit the barrel, what are the option?

tammons
12-17-2013, 07:06 PM
It depends on what you will do with it for the stock. Target rifle or hunting ??
I assume Target since a bull barrel is a beast to haul around.

For the Action you need to know if the Threaded end of the barrel is small shank or large Shank.

Buster95
12-17-2013, 07:11 PM
It's a small shank, only target shooting.

tammons
12-17-2013, 07:21 PM
You need a long action small shank rifle. Most any of the current standard 30-06 etc long action calibers will have a small shank which you want. You would need to change the bolt head.

The current magnum actions are all large shank.

The older stagger feed control feed magnums were mostly all small shank except for a few years where they slipped in some large shanks.

If you will mag feed then I would either go centerfeed push feed or stagger feed control feed.

If you will single load it does not matter.

A decent target stock for the $ is a Choate Target stock. Heavy, but solid with an alum bedding block and that barrel will fit. You need to buy the stock for the feed type.

Cycler
12-17-2013, 07:25 PM
The current magnum actions are all large shank.
Is that correct or is it just the WSM-series of cartridges? I thought the "regular" magnums were still small shank.

tammons
12-17-2013, 07:32 PM
I just bought a new 375 Ruger and its supposed to be a large shank but I dont pick it up until tomorrow..

I am not 100% sure on the normal magnum cailbers but I thought all magnums are now large shank, but I could be wrong.

Best to run that by SSS or Northlander. They will have the answer.

tammons
12-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Just picked up the 375 ruger and its a large shank.

Buster95
12-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Are you sure 300 win mag are all large shank?

tammons
12-18-2013, 05:47 PM
I dont know and there is no way to know for sure other than verifying with the seller. I would bet that the Stevens 7mm mag and 300 WM are both small shank but not sure really.

Reason you should check it out with the seller is I have read where savage will do a run of oddballs. IE one was supposedly from a batch of left over muzzle loader actions that they decided to rework as regular actions and they were all large shank so produced some large shank 223s etc out of that batch.

Best thing you could do is call Savage.