PDA

View Full Version : "Quiet" = "subsonic"?

Sporting Lad
12-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Er, "Noob" Q: My new Savage MKII FVXP is the first .22 I've had in some years, and I'm not familiar with some of these new(?) loads.
What's the difference between "quiets" and "subs"? Yesterday I shot some CCI Quiets (720fps) and they were noticeably quieter than LRs
(which are noticeably quieter than my .308 :cool:). I was under the impression that these Quiets were "subsonic", so what gives?
Are they different types of rounds, or are those just the names the ammo mfgrs give to them?
Also, the lower velocity of these rounds must give them different ballistics from my LRs, so will I have to reset my 25 yard zero?

I'm preparing to take down some of those big grey furry-tailed rats who are terrorizing my little red squirrel friends.
thx

missed
12-17-2013, 02:04 PM
The subsonic loads are quiet due to not getting the super sonic crack. Less energy has less noise. The different manufacturers are going to call them different things.

davemuzz
12-17-2013, 02:53 PM
The speed of sound is about 1100 fps. So, when you shoot any bullet with a MV less than this, and you have a suppressor on the rifle or handgun, the suppressor takes care of the powder "BANG", and you simply don't get the BANG from the bullet breaking the sound barrier. So, that's why the sub-sonic ammo's are considered quiet.

Dave

tobys
12-21-2013, 08:00 PM
720fps is well below the speed of sound! I think the "quiets" are designed to be quieter even without a moderator/suppressor, eg. US states where it's difficult to be allowed one. :-) Atb

BoilerUP
12-21-2013, 08:46 PM
Quiets are indeed quiet, and way more accurate than CB Shorts.

They are stupid quiet through a can.

UncleSarge58
12-22-2013, 12:40 AM
Quiets are indeed quiet, and way more accurate than CB Shorts.

They are stupid quiet through a can.

Oh Yeah.. Like... :Click ... pop:(
UncleSarge58

davemuzz
12-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Oh Yeah.. Like... :Click ... pop:(
UncleSarge58

Yeah…..sneaky quiet. Ask the poor little groundhogs that "found" their way into my back yard last year. "Click" flop.

Dave