PDA

View Full Version : NRA Magazine - American Rifleman

Pages : [1] 2

fgw_in_fla
12-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Good article on the "ammo shortage" if y'all haven't had a look yet. (Jan. 2014 issue)

I don't know how accurate it is, but it is interesting.

yobuck
12-17-2013, 07:51 PM
id say the rifleman would be more credible than most other sources. i havent seen any of mine in almost 6 months.
that should change by this time next week.

GaryB
12-17-2013, 08:03 PM
Here is a link to it online if anyone wants to read about it there.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/why-weve-had-ammunition-shortage

They say in the article that hoarding had nothing to do with the shortage, but I'm inclined to disagree.

buxman66
12-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Yeah, and read the comment from steve hornady that read" there is no govt conspiracy"

Uh huh, yeah right......

EFBell
12-17-2013, 09:22 PM
"Also, ammunition production can be difficult to increase quickly because it takes investment in expensive machinery and additional personnel to increase production."

Wow, Really? How did we ever make it through World War 2?

243LPR
12-18-2013, 07:37 PM
You would think if the demand is there they would work 24/7 to satisfy it. Guess these aren't the "shovel ready" jobs they had in mind.

Stockrex
12-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Bs, Barbara Streisand, stuff in my little ones diapers
It is all about Speculation und crazy ocd people buying up supply as soon as it hits the store.

fgw_in_fla
12-20-2013, 05:56 AM
Bs, Barbara Streisand, stuff in my little ones diapers
It is all about Speculation und crazy ocd people buying up supply as soon as it hits the store.

I was thinking along those lines but couldn't come up with a polite way to put it....

My sentiment exactly. For as much of a hoarder that I am, as OCD as I am, when I see anything on a shelf like ammo, powder, primers - anything - I grab one or two & leave some for the next guy. Then I see the next guy empty the shelf.

Code4
12-20-2013, 07:28 AM
A good mate of mine went to the last San Diego gun show. He said ammo was being taken out by hand held forklifts by the palet load and put on pickups and in trucks. All at greatly inflated prices which people were happy to pay.

To a non North American it all smacks a bit of panic buying, but makes the shortages you guys face more understandable. Here in Oz we have escaped any large shortages as order times for delivery are months if not years in advance and our consumption is miniscule compared to you guys.

sniper15545
12-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Well boys it this simple when things do fall apart, All that will matter is beans and bullets.

ShawneeB
12-20-2013, 07:26 PM
FGW, that's funny. I do the same. With shooting supplies, about anything. Think how nice it would be if everyone had the same consideration.:cool:

fgw_in_fla
12-21-2013, 08:42 AM
FGW, that's funny. I do the same. With shooting supplies, about anything. Think how nice it would be if everyone had the same consideration.:cool:

In an ideal world, maybe....

I'm glad I tolerated my 'ol lady's big yap for the 2 years before the Sandy Hook thing. I was grabbing an extra couple cans of powder, primers , bullets & ammo for my commie guns each Friday on the way home. I have enough stash to last a while. Just not as long as I'd like it to last. (The rest of my life.)

Listening to the yapping & squawking for that time was worth it. I think.
Except for the hearing loss.

HeadHunter
12-22-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm glad I tolerated my 'ol lady's big yap for the 2 years before the Sandy Hook thing. I was grabbing an extra couple cans of powder, primers , bullets & ammo for my commie guns each Friday on the way home. .

That's what I do. Buy a box of something every time I am at Dick's which is usually a couple times a month. Just add it to the stash.

stangfish
12-22-2013, 08:22 PM
There was so much BS in that article, I couldn't finish it. I know of a couple of active reserve marines that are given 1200 rds a month to shoot. Another thing that stood out was how they allotted so much ammo for the "Domestic Army"/ Homeland security. Doesn't that sound like laws are being violated. They were sworn to uphold the what?

Apache
12-22-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm going to try my best to stay out of the politics of all this.....but as Stang has alluded to....the allotment is a little strange here in this report. You need to read between the lines as well as watch what's "really" going on. Others are echoing this same "story" too. To the point it sounds weird....and I'm NOT one of those conspiracy kind of guys. But somethings up here. It's the same regurgitated story from every source. :puke:

All I can say is.....if your not a "hoarder", you better start being one. Don't just get what YOU need but what others may also need. Like the saying goes: "I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

Call me paranoid if you want if you want to, but if you should ever need anything out of my stash "one of these days"...and if you're close enough to take advantage of it, you will thank me then.

:behindsofa:

stangfish
12-22-2013, 09:28 PM
How far is Ville Platte from you?

Apache
12-22-2013, 10:35 PM
About 45 miles...

JeepsAndGuns
12-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Being able to grab extra ammo and storeing it good for those who have the extra income to afford it. But a lot of people like me, just simply can not afford it.

Apache
12-23-2013, 05:53 PM
JeepsAndGuns, I've been where you are.....If you lived closer I would help you out. My stash is for WTSHTF type stuff, not just for pleasure shooting though.

JeepsAndGuns
12-25-2013, 07:24 PM
There was a time in the past when I could afford it, ammo was cheaper and I was making more money. But back then I never thought about it. The old saying of hindsight is 20/20 still holds true.
Now I'm not making the money I used to and ammo has skyrocketed. Funny how life changes.