PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Rotary Magazine Help...

doegirl
08-24-2009, 05:32 AM
I picked up 99 EG about a week ago. The trigger pull has a tremendous amount of creep, so I suspected there was about 55yrs of rust and dirt built up in the action. I was right. Disassembled, cleaned it up, put it all back together again. Everything is functional, except for one slight snag, the rotary magazine. It was working, but not anymore. It has to have about 4 cartridges in it before it feeds them into the chamber and the last 2 generally don't make it unless I turn the gun upside down. I'm testing this out with fired brass, btw, if the weight of the cartridges has anything to do with it.
So, what did I do? ;D And how do I fix it...?

Eric in NC
08-24-2009, 06:30 AM
You violated the #1 rule of rotary mag 99's!!! ;) If it works, do not disassemble for any reason.

It has to do with the spring pre-tensioning. I can't help you more than that. I am sure others here or on 24hourcampfire can help you more.

99trix
08-24-2009, 06:44 AM
It is just the spring tension on the rotary mag. It is a trial and error thing to get it tight enough to load the last round and not too tight that you can't get the last one in. Wind it up just another notch or two. If you need complete instructions on how to do the let me know and I can provide you with the detail.

doegirl
08-24-2009, 04:45 PM
It is just the spring tension on the rotary mag. It is a trial and error thing to get it tight enough to load the last round and not too tight that you can't get the last one in. Wind it up just another notch or two. If you need complete instructions on how to do the let me know and I can provide you with the detail.

You hit the nail on the head. When I removed the rotary magazine, the tension on the spring was relieved. I got the instructions on another site regarding how to reset the tension. An easy fix. Thanks a bunch ;)

Fumes
06-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Can anyone direct me to a site or have an exploded view of what I need to look for when I take apart my 99. My rotary will not turn on it's own. I think it just has a load of old grease or oil gumming it up. But what should I look for?

langenc
06-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Bought a beaut-300 Savage last eve.

I need the disassembly, exploded views etc.

Thank you

CL