PDA

View Full Version : Are BSA good quality scores

Pages : [1] 2

soutthpaw
12-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Looking for a scope for my 30-06, I like the 6 power zoom on the 4-24x50 BSA Gold Star. Wondering if anyone has experience with these? Only downside I see is that it's not illuminated.

EDIT. sorry about typo in title

BoilerUP
12-16-2013, 12:01 PM
No, BSAs are not good quality scopes. Do not be fooled by the high magnification range, it'll be hardly useable as the eyebox is uber-tiny and the image unbelievably fuzzy.

Only exception is the BSA Tactical 4-14x44 mil/mil FFP, as it is a Falcon Menace/Primary Arms clone and is surprisingly decent.

RP12
12-16-2013, 12:01 PM
IMHO, not being illuminated is "not" a down side. Are they good quality ? Not so much.

soutthpaw
12-16-2013, 12:18 PM
thanks for the info. Ill keep looking for something else....
Actually the primary arms I mentioned looks pretty good.

barrel-nut
12-17-2013, 07:34 PM
Two much better scopes for a little more money:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/740823/millett-tactical-trs-1-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-4-16x-50mm-side-focus-green-illuminated-mil-dotbar-reticle-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1477326549/weaver-super-slam-rifle-scope-3-15x-42mm-side-focus-matte

I have these two. Love them both.

stangfish
12-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Southpaw, Don't be fooled by advertising, scope snobs or any hype. Look for a scope that mature gun enthusiast prefer. You don't always need to spend a ton of money to get something durable and fits your needs. If you have an idea of the type of shooting you want to do and the distance let us know if we can help. There are many shooters on this forum that would be glad to help. Nobody here wants to see you make a scope mistake.

soutthpaw
12-20-2013, 05:40 AM
What about this Muller 4-16x56AO scope? seems to be decent reviews for the brand. http://muelleroptics.com/mt41650igr can be had for about $180 shipped
Or the Millet TRS 4-16x50 http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/trs/

The other one that looks interesting is the Redfield Revenge 4-12x42. Currently has a $45 factory rebate too. Looks to be made in U.S.A

RP12
12-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Mueller is a great scope for that price range.

barrel-nut
12-21-2013, 01:36 PM
The Millett is the exact one I linked you to in post #5. Great scope for this price range, especially if you find it on sale, as you usually can at Midway or Natchez Shooters, for around $300 give or take a little. It's made by Bushnell, has a lifetime warranty, and good glass. Drawbacks: very large and heavy. Clicks are kinda mushy, but still accurate. And did I mention large, and heavy? But a good all-around medium-range scope that's at home more so at the range or on a tactical-style build. Kinda over the top for a hunting rig. Not sure what your intended use is primarily?

Edit: here ya go.. Really good deal at this price.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=MIBK81008&src=exrbSrch

Also a digital camo edition available.

soutthpaw
12-28-2013, 04:16 PM
Just ordered the Mueller. I will try it and see if i even use 10-16x. or if I do or don't like illuminated mil dot etc. For example if I never really use over 12 or 10x etc then i can invest money into a better scope later and not pay for a bunch of magnification i don't use. same with the illumination. Then this one can be sold or become a backup. Then again, this may turn out to be perfect for my needs. will update once I get some shooting done with it.
As i had mentioned in my intro, this is my first hunting caliber AR and first scope for a hunting rifle...

fgw_in_fla
12-28-2013, 07:17 PM
Keep your new scope in real good condition & you may be able to trade up at SWFA if it doesn't work out for ya. They have a pretty good trade in program.

I went thru 3 scopes with my beloved 30.06.
Between frequent trips to the range for some of my marathon '06 shooting sessions and getting bumped around in the swamps, I went thru 1 Simmons cheapo, A Simmons AETEC & a Vortex Crossfire.
After the 2nd return of the Crossfire to Vortex, they traded me up to a Viper.
My beloved '06 has been happy ever since.

PS, the muzzle break I put on 6 months ago made it easier on the scope & my shoulder. Consider it.
Good luck with your project.

PSS - I forgot about the Leupold VX-1 it devoured, too.....

soutthpaw
12-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Keep your new scope in real good condition & you may be able to trade up at SWFA if it doesn't work out for ya. They have a pretty good trade in program.

I went thru 3 scopes with my beloved 30.06.
Between frequent trips to the range for some of my marathon '06 shooting sessions and getting bumped around in the swamps, I went thru 1 Simmons cheapo, A Simmons AETEC & a Vortex Crossfire.
After the 2nd return of the Crossfire to Vortex, they traded me up to a Viper.
My beloved '06 has been happy ever since.

PS, the muzzle break I put on 6 months ago made it easier on the scope & my shoulder. Consider it.
Good luck with your project.

Yes, I would love to thread this barrel and get a factory muzzle brake for it
Thanks for the trade up tip. I'll probably just eBay it if it comes to selling it

fgw_in_fla
12-28-2013, 07:29 PM
The Savage factory break is OK...

I put a 4 port on mine. The kind where the back blast knocks stuff off the bench. The RSO usually sticks me down the end of the line when I bring it to the range. Too many whining sissys crying about that blast of warm air & the noise.

Noise at a gun range.....
Imagine that.

thomae
12-28-2013, 08:41 PM
1. :focus:

Thanks You.

RyanMeyerhofer
12-28-2013, 10:28 PM
for a 30 06 savage a NC Star Mark 3 would work just fine aslong as your not running a Muzzle break DECENT glass at a good price, they just dont hold up on the big boys By DECENT GLASS i mean it will work out just fine clarity wize inside 400 yards sun glare can get annoying i just use a paper towel tube as a redneck sun shade i run the mark 3 on my 223, 308, and 204 the swift has a Leupould VX3 and still looking for my 338 Lapua Vortex posibly hope that helps you out

soutthpaw
12-28-2013, 11:18 PM
for a 30 06 savage a NC Star Mark 3 would work just fine aslong as your not running a Muzzle break DECENT glass at a good price, they just dont hold up on the big boys By DECENT GLASS i mean it will work out just fine clarity wize inside 400 yards sun glare can get annoying i just use a paper towel tube as a redneck sun shade i run the mark 3 on my 223, 308, and 204 the swift has a Leupould VX3 and still looking for my 338 Lapua Vortex posibly hope that helps you out

Are you trying to b bait the scope snobs? I did look at ncstar but their to of the line was about the same price as the Mueller. Which seemed a step up quality wise. I did order the $39. Blue dot reflex sight from NcStar to replace the Walther p22 on my AR just to get the green and blue dots. Otherwise it looks just like the NcStar one.

RyanMeyerhofer
12-29-2013, 02:45 AM
wasnt trying to bait anyone, i had a NC Star on my 338 Lapua and it didnt hold up that gun is getting a Leupold or a Vortex. what i was trying to say is for the price and inside 400 yards the NC Star works well. it isn't the best in the world by any stretch of the word but it will get the job done on a 30 06

RyanMeyerhofer
12-30-2013, 12:14 AM
i cant say a bloody word without catching flack.....

yobuck
12-30-2013, 02:47 PM
i cant say a bloody word without catching flack.....

nothing personal mind you. im sure others here have a warm spot for 06s also and were thinking what i said.

barrel-nut
12-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Lots of love for the '06 around here. Deservedly so, as it and the men who carried it are the reason we are all free to still own one, and to post on this forum in English. But in all fairness, the subject of Ryan's post was the recoil handling ability, or lack thereof, of NCStar products, not to slam the '06.