PDA

View Full Version : Boyds thumbhole cheek rest ideas

stewart3
12-15-2013, 10:51 PM
I have a boyds thumbhole and was curious if anyone had a good idea for raising the cheek rest on these stocks?

Marine24
12-17-2013, 06:19 PM
That is a tough one. A stock pack might work but not a lot of surface area on the right side of the stock.

I've used a couple of other solutions in the past on my service rifles that are effective but not the most appealing to the eye. Foam padding held down with staples and/or tape. Works great but ugly as sin.

Another guy I know shaped a wood 1x1 to the height and contour he wanted. Lot of trial and error but worked for him. He actually drilled it in to the rifle stock to secure it. Functional but not pretty.

Assume you are raising the cheek rest to work with the rings you have? Any chance of going with lower rings or are you fitting the objective size on the scope?

stewart3
12-17-2013, 11:41 PM
I have medium sig zee with 20moa base. might be able to make low rings work with the 40mm although, I was planning for a larger objective, might even need higher for a 56mm. If I close my eyes and rest my cheek down comfortably when I open them I'm looking at the bottom of the scope.

I thought about cutting the stock and raising the rest with some stainless pillars. As you mentioned, all the material to work with is on the left side. It's hard to cut up something that we spend so much time building and I killed my first bull elk with this rifle.

Thanx for your reply Marine24

Marine24
12-18-2013, 12:21 AM
I'm running low rings with a 50mm objective scope but it is tight. No room for lens caps and definitely wouldn't work with a 56mm objective.

JWW123
12-18-2013, 08:35 AM
i use a athletic knee pad,i think it was for a volleyball player

airfoil
12-22-2013, 02:15 AM
I used a foam product from "God a grip"...the shotgun cheekrest, and cut it to fit on the comb...it's about 1/2" thick, black and very sticky on one side... seems to be durable, and is comfortable.

WesF
12-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Did you have to build it up any further or was 1/2" enough?

airfoil
12-22-2013, 11:38 PM
1/2" worked fine for me...the thing is, the shotgun pad is not really made for the thumbhole stock...it must be cut and fit by you, and some is left over. I suppose you could stack the material if 1/2" was not enough. Other sizes/shapes are available, but the shotgun was the thickest as I recall.

I used sharp scissors, and smoothed the cut with light wet sanding with 300 grit wet/dry sandpaper for aesthetic reasons. The material (I think it's "sorbothane") feels very smooth and soft...I guess I could take a pic and post it...

WesF
12-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks! It looks much nicer than the home made one I'm working on.

lal357
12-23-2013, 11:24 PM
on my wifes ftr rifle i use some 1/4" thick dense foam use 3m spray glue adhesive so far it has held for a year and no holes drilled into the stock. stacked fine