PDA

View Full Version : Mod 12 6br needs a new barrel

CrossChoke
12-15-2013, 02:11 PM
Howdy,
first time poster here. I have a mod 12 lrpv chambered in 6br. This my only savage and I have been impressed with it. It is time for a new barrel. Doing a little research and I am finding some discussions about large vs small shank. I am sure that I have the large shank, but not sure what this means. I typically run kreiger or bartlein on my guns. The bartlein that would typically order is Contour: 1.250" x 5.000" Straight, Taper to 1.00". I can make this work?

i also see some manufacturers that are offering a drop in style for savage. Is there an advantage to these over the brands above? Other than it appears they come ready to be installed?

i am not versed in the quick change out system guys are talking about. This is new to me, once I figure out a little more about this and how to order a new barrel that will work with my action with out issues I will probably try a few different calibers. Same action work for a 284 case?

Thanks

stangfish
12-15-2013, 03:56 PM
Savage has two thread diameters 1.055 and 1.120 and are basically 1 1/16th and 1 1/8th. Both of them are 20 TPI. You can have the tenon cut to not utilize the savage barrel nut by not turning the major diameter. I like this for the "small shank but leaves very little shoulder on the "large shank" since the action is 1.350 and the blank is 1.250. (however the lug is slightly smaller and the contact may in fact bet negligible between shouldering the barrel or the barrel nut.) all in all the "Pre Fit" is cheaper and it is what you currently have.

The "Pre Fit" or drop in as you call it are easy to headspace for and require no machining just a set of gauges to set the chamber position at the correct headspace. The barrel nut makes this infinitely adjustable without machine work.

The 284 will work fine if you plan on using short COAL or if you use long bullets COAL then single loading will be the only way.

CrossChoke
12-18-2013, 01:01 AM
Thanks for your input.