PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10 base height

Anton Chigurh
12-15-2013, 01:49 PM
I ordered a savage 10 predator max a few days ago, so know I'm planning my base/ring set up. I believe, but am not sure, they come with 2 piece weaver bases. My first savage purchse, a 10PC, did not come with bases so I used Talley lightweight mediums to mount a 50mm conquest, it fit nicely.

I would like to try the weavers, if they are included, with Leupold prw or maybe warne maxima rings this time. I will need min .500 total height rings + base. Can someone tell me how much height the included bases will give me?

FW Conch
12-15-2013, 05:51 PM
If I understand your question correctly, the Weaver bases won't add any height, it's the rings which determine your scope height ?

Anton Chigurh
12-15-2013, 09:58 PM
If I understand your question correctly, the Weaver bases won't add any height, it's the rings which determine your scope height ?

Among the scope rings I have used with weaver or picatinny rails (Warne, TPS), height is measured from top of base to bottom of scope tube. I know some rings measure to center line of scope. But I do believe you typically have to factor in height of the base itself. I just want to know the height of the weaver bases that come on a 10 Predator.

I don't like my scopes mounted extra high. I know high rings will work, but I'm wondering if I can get away with mediums.

If I have to, I'll wait until the gun comes in. Thought someone here may know.

ThemB's
12-15-2013, 10:01 PM
The predator hunter does come with the weaver mounts, I ordered this rifle last week. I forgot which site I read it on but they do come with the 2 piece base. You can see them in this picture here. http://grabagun.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/22598/ I went with a TPS 20 MOA base though.

Anton Chigurh
12-15-2013, 10:15 PM
Ok, that's what I thought, but savage website doesn't say. I will wait and try them. I don't really need a 20moa base, and don't like the added height of the egw rails. Thanks.

limige
12-18-2013, 12:41 AM
I've noticed that issue as well. Definitely will be watching my ring and base hieght in the future

Anton Chigurh
12-18-2013, 07:44 AM
I've noticed that issue as well. Definitely will be watching my ring and base hieght in the future

It's definitely a factor, especially with picatinny rails. I tried an EGW rail on my 10PC, along with TPS low rings, and it was still too high for me. I ended up going with Talley Lightweights in medium, which provided just enough clearance for my Zeiss 50mm objective. Talley's are easy to figure out, because they are one piece ring and base and their heights are simple (.400" lows, .500" medium etc.)

I received the Predator 10, weaver bases add around .150" height. Nominal compared to a picatinny, but may allow the use of lows instead of mediums with 44-50mm obj vs conventional wisdom that you must use high rings.

MI_Grouse
12-24-2013, 09:43 AM
I have a Predator Max-1 in .243. I'm waiting on a new scope, but in the meantime I put a 40mm objective (OD = 48mm) scope on the factory weaver bases with Warne Maxima low rings and I've got about 3mm of clearance (no caps).

Agree on the Weaver base height - mine is 4mm (so about .15"). When I measure from the top of the Weaver base to the top of the barrel, I get 8mm.

I've used this site to calculate ring height, which seems to be right on the money.

http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator

stangfish
12-24-2013, 10:39 AM
Excellent choice on rings. A hillbilly thing I do If I have the scope and the bases is lay the scope on top of the bases if possible. If the bell is hitting the barrel or the eyepiece is hitting the rail; I pick the scope up or shim it to see how much space I need. I use that dimension to determine the height rings I need.