PDA

View Full Version : Feeding problem on 10 FLCP-K 308

Pages : [1] 2

rockbox
12-15-2013, 10:41 AM
I'm having a feeding issue where about 20 percent of the time, the round will get jammed about three quarter of the way into the barrel. It looks like round is not lined up with the bolt and the rim of the cartridge is slightly high(round is slightly pointed down as it enters the barrel). If I back out the bolt slightly, the rim of the cartridge falls down and aligns itself and it goes in. Any ideas how to remedy this? I can post a picture, if you guys have no clue what I'm talking about.

missed
12-15-2013, 11:52 AM
What caliber? There was another thread recently where there 223 was doing the same thing. I don't know what came about on it. What ammo also? My 22_250 will occasionally do it with big hollow points.

rockbox
12-15-2013, 12:17 PM
It's in the title. .308

I read somewhere that it may be the bolt not picking up the cartridge correctly. I'm going to call Savage tomorrow and see what they say.

stangfish
12-15-2013, 12:20 PM
How fast are you cycling the bolt when this happens? Can you take a picture of this as it is picking up the round? It sounds like there may be a feed lip issue.

RP12
12-15-2013, 12:52 PM
What caliber? There was another thread recently where there 223 was doing the same thing. I don't know what came about on it. What ammo also? My 22_250 will occasionally do it with big hollow points.30 caliber. .308 Win cartridge.:p

rockbox
12-15-2013, 01:01 PM
How fast are you cycling the bolt when this happens? Can you take a picture of this as it is picking up the round? It sounds like there may be a feed lip issue.

It definitely happens more often when I'm cycling quickly. When I go slow the cartridge has more time to settle in the mouth of the barrel and goes in. Here is a picture of it caught.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/clutchcity/IMG_20131215_104950_zpsnd8pjjn3.jpg

If I back the bolt out just a millimeter, the cartridge settles and aligns itself and go straight in. Here is a picture after I back out and re-engage the bolt.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/clutchcity/IMG_20131215_104644_zpsjby3pnqm.jpg

rockbox
12-15-2013, 01:02 PM
btw, I'm using FGMM 175 rounds.

chukarmandoo
12-15-2013, 01:06 PM
I think some of this can be caused by the feed lips on the magazine. Have you tried a different magazine?

missed
12-15-2013, 02:57 PM
The problem is it's a lefty! Yeah I'm thinking the feed lips could be a bit wider than they should be at the front.

rockbox
12-15-2013, 07:26 PM
The problem is it's a lefty! Yeah I'm thinking the feed lips could be a bit wider than they should be at the front.

Tried squeezing the lips together and it didn't help. It just made the action tougher because of the tension on the cartridge.

stangfish
12-15-2013, 07:59 PM
You may have discovered the push feed weakness. If you want to go fast you might try a DPMS 308. Seriously though how fast are you trying to cycle? Try to open the front back up and squeezing the rear? Just a thought

rockbox
12-15-2013, 10:04 PM
You may have discovered the push feed weakness. If you want to go fast you might try a DPMS 308. Seriously though how fast are you trying to cycle? Try to open the front back up and squeezing the rear? Just a thought

It was happening even when I wasn't going fast. It just happened more frequently. I did what you suggested and its better. Still happens but not nearly as frequently.

I'm probably going to put this in a mcrees chassis, so hopefully it goes away all together with the mccrees magazines.

rockbox
12-15-2013, 10:06 PM
I also noticed there is a lot of side to side play in the bolt. Is this normal? This is a rifle manufactured this year.

missed
12-15-2013, 10:34 PM
The bolt play is normal. I have the same gun and have racked through shells pretty fast. I wonder if with the bolt play if you are lifting and that is causing it. I push the bolt shut with my thumb right at the joint. I have been on a group of of pigs and blown through ten rounds as fast as possible without a misfeed.

rockbox
12-15-2013, 11:27 PM
The bolt play is normal. I have the same gun and have racked through shells pretty fast. I wonder if with the bolt play if you are lifting and that is causing it. I push the bolt shut with my thumb right at the joint. I have been on a group of of pigs and blown through ten rounds as fast as possible without a misfeed.

I think you are on to something. When I use my thumb to push the bolt back, the problem goes away for the most part. I guess I have to learn the intricacies of using a savage.

stangfish
12-15-2013, 11:31 PM
I have been on a group of of pigs and blown through ten rounds as fast as possible without a misfeed.

Did you have your bipod with you on that trip?

missed
12-16-2013, 08:31 AM
Did you have your bipod with you on that trip?

Why yes I did.... I'm thinking about getting a couple soft cases so I can leave them on. Both rifles won't fit in my skb case with bipods on.

eddiesindian
12-16-2013, 11:48 AM
I think you are on to something. When I use my thumb to push the bolt back, the problem goes away for the most part. I guess I have to learn the intricacies of using a savage.

Thats exactly what I do as well on mine. Ive used a ten rd mag with same results. tried another factory 4rd...same thing.
If I rack it slow, it,s

more prevelant. I really havent put my diagnostic mind set to it because Ive been bizzy with load development on the K model. I hit paydirt this weekend so my load development is at its end.

I know the issue is there but havent really look,d into it but I will.
my train of thought is that when the bolt push,s the case thru the mag and when the case gets past the frt feed lips on the mag, the case has a tendency of "jumping".....

Ill have a look at my look at my other FCP in 308 and compare...give me something to do this evening.

rockbox
12-16-2013, 12:50 PM
After playing with it all evening, I'm almost certain that its the bolt slop that's causing the issue. It's exasperated by the longer bolt handle of the FCP model which causes the bolt to be offline as it pushes the cartridge into the barrel. When I use my thumb to push bolt from the back of the bolt versus using the bolt handle, the cartridge goes right it regardless of how fast I go.

It's a design flaw, but it one I can deal with considering my rifle shoots half MOA with FGMM 175 and cost 800 bucks.

RP12
12-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Glad to hear it's nothing major.