PDA

View Full Version : Heavy vs standard accuracy

jc1882
03-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Hello,
Just found this forum recently while looking into which savage would be best for my use. I've decided on 22-250 cal. for occasional pred/crow hunting and was hoping to get input on difference in accuracy/benefit of heavy, tapered or std. barrels. Gun weight is not really an issue for me and will use only factory ammo. I'm sure this has been discussed many times over but had to ask. Advice appreciated.

weewilly
03-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Welcome, I have shot a lot of varmint barrels off of benchs,and prairie dogging, and think they have a advantage over sporter weight, where they don't have to be carried alot. I have a 204vlp single shot and thought it was the most accurate I own but is heavy, so I built a Stevens with a 204 sporter barrel to be able to carry for a walking rifle, surprise! the light one is within a quarter inch as accurate as the heavy barrel and 1/2 inch when I do my part. Hope this helps as each rifle is different.

docsleepy
03-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Comparing a "bull barrel" 6PPC that was 22" long to a varmint (still pretty heavy) 28 or 29" savage .223, I noted about 1/3 the vertical variation per grain of additional H322, which I attribute to the increased stiffness of a shorter, heavier barrel. These were on the exact same action. (and with similar weight, though different caliber bullets).

Unless you badly badly need the tiny bit of extra velocity, I'd recommmend the heaviest, 22" barrrel you can get. Shilen has prefits for savage and was able to make me one that stayed at the same diameter the entire barrel out to 22", right into the threads.

Now as far as GROUP size, there are many more factors that go into it, such as getting the brass to fit tightly in the chamber, using a fitted (turned) neck, getting trigger pull way way down, using benchrest type 3" flatt fore-end on a high quality fitted rest, and on and on. With the bull barrel I'm getting down to 1/4" groups, while with the varmint barrel was more like 1/2" median group size. My trigger is not the best, so others may have better results than I (and may be a better shot than I).

I have a sporter (thin) weight barrel also from Savage, and after a few shots from it, I didn't bother trying to work on its accuracy: the groups were huge.

gordon

fatdaddy
03-01-2010, 09:10 PM
+1 on the short, varmint weight, barrels... But I have several sporter weight barrels that shoot as well as any heavy barrel I own. Heavy barrels dont get hot as fast in a Pdog town, but they take longer to cool as well. Only thing for sure is the heavy barrels look cooler!!!! Bill

jc1882
03-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I've been watching for the new Predator 10 with fluted matte barrel but so far can't find it. That model is a good fit for what I want but as WW & fatdaddy stated, I should also look at sporter weight. I have considered getting a Stevens 200 and going forward with trigger, stock & heavy barrel if needed. Really doesn't seem to be a "best" when it comes to barrel configuration but the shorter barrel rifle would be a + for hunting. I'm in no hurry, in the end just want a well balanced rifle that will deliver consistant groups, even though I can't, lol.

Don - LongRangeSupply
03-01-2010, 10:23 PM
21 3/4"

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2009/11/09/secrets-of-the-houston-warehouse-read-this-classic-article/