PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer staggerfeed or centerfeed, and why?

hc18flyer
12-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Don't want to hijack a thread, but? I am new to the Savage Forum, Why do you prefer the staggered feed? I am considering converting a Stevens 200 22-250 to .358 win. Thanks, Tom

EDIT:
Moved this into its own thread.

RP12
12-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Don't want to hijack a thread, but? I am new to the Savage Forum, Why do you prefer the staggered feed? I am considering converting a Stevens 200 22-250 to .358 win. Thanks, TomIf it's a blind mag they are easier to load. The main reason I like them best is you can just drop a round in the action(for bench work). With the CF you have to put the round in the mag first to load, or get a single shot mag follower.

stangfish
12-14-2013, 12:13 PM
So to pile on and with the possibility of being redundant... Many of the guys on this sight find more aftermarket parts and upgrades available for the center feed both long and short actions. However there is nothing wrong with a stagger feed rifle. I have found the quality to be at least equal in every instance. The flat back models have fewer options with scope base/ring options. Not enough of a hindrance to throw in the towel on those models though. IF you can find a quality stagger feed for a good price in the caliber you want....or with the bolt face you want for a new barrel don't hesitate.

pdog06
12-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Don't want to hijack a thread,

Then please don't. Just ask your question in a new thread. It is really easy to do. I will move this one to a new one for you.

hc18flyer
12-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Sorry, My question pertained to a Stevens M#200. I'll stick to the thread. Tom

Joetinva
12-16-2013, 11:16 AM
I'm building a .223 on a Stevens 200 action and can't find a stagger magazine box anywhere.

tammons
12-16-2013, 01:35 PM
If an internal magazine, I prefer staggerfeed - Easier to load. External mag Centerfeed - more reliable feeding.
At least thats my thoughts for now.

Purely out of curiosity why 358 win and not 338 fed ?
I am building a 358 Gremlin AR15 but would prefer a 338 Gremlin (which is not readily available) due to the 160 gr barnes TTSX bullet.

J.Baker
12-16-2013, 01:44 PM
To me it essentially boils down to three things...

1. Whether or not you were an established Savage owner/enthusiast before the switch to center-feed.
2. What cartridge you're building the rifle for.
3. What type of magazine you want to have.

If you weren't a Savage owner/enthusiast before the switch to the center-feed system then chances are you haven't ever owned a staggered feed and thus have no opinion or experience with it. As time goes on more and more folks here will fall into this group - even now, a mere 8-9 years since the launch of the CF magazines, I would think it's safe to say that close to half our regular visitors have never owned a SF Savage. I also think you'll find that the Staggered-Feed models will get less and less popular in the years to come as certain SF specific parts (magazine boxes, CRF bolt heads and ejectors, etc) become harder and harder to obtain.

In regard to the second point, certain cartridges just aren't real compatible with one or the other system. Feeding short/fat cartridges like the 6mmBR from the magazine were a nightmare with the Staggered-Feed system, but work great in the center-feed system. Conversely, there simply aren't magazine boxes available for certain rounds in the Center-Feed system, but were available in the Staggered-Feed system (375 H&H, RUM's, etc.).

The third point is pretty self-explanatory. If you want a detachable magazine or a hinged floorplate then you're pretty much limited to the center-feed system or something custom. Yes there was a detachable magazine option with the old staggered-feed system, but aftermarket support and parts availability for it (i.e. stocks, magazines, etc) is very limited and gets more so with each passing year.

Willoughby
12-16-2013, 05:53 PM
I have both
& I prefer stagger feed for all but magnum calibers
because it loads easier & its lighter
I even run one of my CF actions with a SF magazine (yes it can be done-)
I only use CF magazines - in magnum calibers
for their longer coal-
(even then I modify them to make them 3.850 )
even with CF I still like blind mag pillar bedded wood stocks -again -because of weight reduction-
I only have one HFP rifle left & I'm modifying a blind mag SF wood stock for it now
when its done it will have a modified CF mag
In a pillar bedded -blind mag SF stock

hc18flyer
12-16-2013, 09:20 PM
I plan on hunting with cast bullets and think based on what I have read on the 'Cast Boolets Forum', that the 358 and a wide meplat(flat nose) would be best for that purpose. Midway has a ES Shaw Savage conversion kit in ss, with the wrench, go and no go gauges for $200. I agree there isn't much difference between 358 and 338? Maybe more selection in cast bullet molds in 358? I haven't ordered a barrel yet, so I interested in the conversation. The Stevens 200 I have my eye on is a centerfeed in 22-250 for $275.

bootsmcguire
12-16-2013, 10:30 PM
I prefer the CF over the SF for most things, as I have had a much better luck with the CF's as far as reliable feeding. I have had several SF's that allowed the round to pop early when held at certain angles.

I also like the CF's for single feeding, just drop the round on the lips and it goes in straight every time, not always the case with the SF's.
As Jim said above there are times the SF's are better, but for me if the CF will work with the chambering I am going to be using then I lean that way for the reliability.

tammons
12-16-2013, 10:34 PM
Magnums are a huge PIA with a push feed stagger feed.

wbm
12-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Staggerfeed. I use Walnut stocks a lot and prefer a solid bottom on the wood.