PDA

View Full Version : Bolt lift kit...this time with pictures

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

LeeH
03-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks Sharp Shooter for some Excellent info.

I own two new cocking indicator actions, I would LOVE to have them T&T by SSS.
But that is not a option right now, SO what do I do??.
I have only ONE option right now...I can install a "Kit" and hope I get a "little" less effort on the lift
and hope to smooth the bolt a "little".
GUESS WHAT!!..I am ahead of the game!!, if that happens.
As my Dad was fond of saying.....

A little bit of SOMETHING
is a lot better than
A whole lot of NOTHING

Just my thoughts...

Take it for what it's worth.

LeeH

kleeber
03-04-2010, 11:00 PM
A cheap and easy way to reduce the amount of cocking force is to get a longer bolt handle. Note that Fred's numbers refer to torque, which has units of inches times pounds. A force F, measured in pounds, applied with a lever arm of length L, measured in inches, exerts a torque of T = F x L in-lbs. So for Fred's stock cocking effort of 20 in-lbs, you would need to apply a force of 20/2.5 = 8 pounds to a 2.5 inch bolt handle (something like the small factory handle), or a force of 20/3 = 6.67 pounds to a 3 inch bolt handle (something like a tactical bolt handle).

Note that 16.67/2.5 = 6.67, so the 3 inch handle "feels" like a 2.5 inch handle would with 16.67 in-lbs of cocking effort. It's like you're over halfway to a T&T job having a cocking effort of 14 in-lbs!

However, there's no free lunch in that the amount of work it takes to cock the rifle, which goes as force times distance, remains constant, since your hand has to travel a proportionately longer distance with the longer handle. But I'm betting you notice the force more than the work.

I don't know if the bolt handles on the new cocking indicator actions are the same as the old ones (haven't seen one), but I'm sure someone will fill the need of making aftermarket longer tactical handles if they are different.

Kevin

usngunner
03-05-2010, 03:48 AM
I would like to add, That this site is NOT owned by Sharp Shooters Supply or Fred Moreo (AKA Sharp Shooter), that this site is owned and maintained by Jim Baker (AKA MR. Furious) of Baker media. I wish to add that They are not related, and did not know each other until after the site was born. Sharp Shooter was picked, just like all the other staff, to be a moderator because of his incite and knowledge.The staff members are picked, and are located from all over United States, and Canada. The staff members are not employees of SSS, or SSS's staff. To the best of my knowledge SSS gives no preferential treatment to paid members over Non-paid members, or even knows the names of who is and who is not. I do know that Sharp Shooter pays advertising fees just like the rest of the advertisers.

My wish would be, that all of the conspiracy theory nuts would put to rest that SSS and Savage shooters are one in the same. FACT IS, THEY ARE NOT! I can say this with the utmost confidence. I will get off my soap box now that I have addressed this issue that just fires me up to no end.

I"ll tell you right now that is crap. Peaches has told me on the phone more than once that if you're a paid member, they figure you're serious about your rifle and they will pm or call you back first. Not saying it's right or wrong, but it is what it is.

dolomite_supafly
03-05-2010, 07:37 AM
I would like to add, That this site is NOT owned by Sharp Shooters Supply or Fred Moreo (AKA Sharp Shooter), that this site is owned and maintained by Jim Baker (AKA MR. Furious) of Baker media. I wish to add that They are not related, and did not know each other until after the site was born. Sharp Shooter was picked, just like all the other staff, to be a moderator because of his incite and knowledge.The staff members are picked, and are located from all over United States, and Canada. The staff members are not employees of SSS, or SSS's staff. To the best of my knowledge SSS gives no preferential treatment to paid members over Non-paid members, or even knows the names of who is and who is not. I do know that Sharp Shooter pays advertising fees just like the rest of the advertisers.

My wish would be, that all of the conspiracy theory nuts would put to rest that SSS and Savage shooters are one in the same. FACT IS, THEY ARE NOT! I can say this with the utmost confidence. I will get off my soap box now that I have addressed this issue that just fires me up to no end.

I"ll tell you right now that is crap. Peaches has told me on the phone more than once that if you're a paid member, they figure you're serious about your rifle and they will pm or call you back first. Not saying it's right or wrong, but it is what it is.

There are places who give preference, whether it be veterans through pricing, what they get or how long they have to wait to get it. Or LE at places who give officers things like free coffee or something to eat for free. There are reasons for people giving benefits to ceratin groups, for the cops it is to keep the "stop and rob" safer by always having an endless line of cops showing up for their free cup of coffee.

Even our Federal Government gives preferences to certain groups.

I can see where it appears they are connected (I even thought the same thing) but I have been assured by numerous people that they are not since my posting implying they are. Even if they are giving preferences to members here there are plenty of other sites that do. I can't even think of a site where the advertisers don't offer some sort of benefit to the members of the sites they advertise on.

Dolomite

dbranger94
03-05-2010, 04:48 PM
I found a place to get some nice small thrust bearings with the races built into the washers. They are at a place called AVID and they sell bearings for RC cars and whatnot. I believe the one we need is the 5x12x4mm and they are only $3. Shipping is cheap too.

Link: http://www.avidrc.com/product/13/thrust-bearings/192/5x12x4-Thrust-Bearing-F5-12M-thrust-bearings.html

But they also have a lot of other small bearings of various types.

LeeH
03-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Thanks Sharp Shooter for some Excellent info.

I own two new cocking indicator actions, I would LOVE to have them T&T by SSS.
But that is not a option right now, SO what do I do??.
I have only ONE option right now...I can install a "Kit" and hope I get a "little" less effort on the lift
and hope to smooth the bolt a "little".
GUESS WHAT!!..I am ahead of the game!!, if that happens.
As my Dad was fond of saying.....

A little bit of SOMETHING
is a lot better than
A whole lot of NOTHING

Just my thoughts...

Take it for what it's worth.

LeeH

UPDATE!!!

Just got the bearings in and they will NOT work on the "Indicator" type bolts.
The indicator is just too large to allow drilling out the bearing.
Looks like the grooved washer from Savage Shooter is the only option.

Savage Shooter.....You around???

Will you sell that kit??

LeeH

WaltherP99
03-06-2010, 11:28 AM

:D :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Blue Avenger
03-06-2010, 03:10 PM
cool, at least some one takes me serious! now to convince her phone to! :) :)

hotbrass
03-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Lots of good info.

Thanks everyone! ;D

glOckcOma
05-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Are there any updates to this or any better versions that have been made and where to get em?

Thanks.

iamsniper1
05-09-2011, 11:22 AM
I posted my preference about using a multi bearing kit May 6,2011
as opposed to the 38 case mod and was instantly shot down by the so called Savage
Experts.
Another post concerning the bolt lift mod has arrived on the scene and sure enough
the "Experts"? have come out from under their rocks with all their scientific data
as to why a single bearing is so much better than multi bearings.
Here's my take on the " BOLT LIFT MOD".
If one hasn't tried either mod,just sit back and watch the show,don't jump in with
comments of why either mod will not work when you haven't performed the mod yourself.
Actually install both mods,one may like one or the other or may not care for any mod at all.
I'm sure some people who own Savage rifles are contented with the way their rifle performs
and will leave well enough alone.
The point here is "to each his/her own" what ever works for one does not necessarily mean it will work for all.
Most of the people come to this site for information concerning their particular rifle,whether its a fix and or mod,
they want answers in layman's terms,not scientific spread sheets as to why the fix or mod will work or not,a simple
DOs,Don'ts and How-Tos are what these people are looking for,when one throws equations and formulas at them,
most become disinterested and look elsewhere for an answer they can understand,do the fix or mod and move on .
Of course this is my opinion,I may be wrong.

Dirk
05-09-2011, 12:18 PM
I do not see that way at all. Why on earth would I want to go to the trouble of installing an obviously inferior system with more friction points then the single bearing system which works? Logic dictates to go with the least resistance system and screw the other one! :-\

r29l20
05-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Do the bearings roll in the (race)? If they do, I can see how it might reduce friction, but if not, its obvious the single center bearing would have less friction. Just my 2 cents. :)

gotcha
05-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Roller bearings are designed to ROLL, not pivot on an axis. A single roller bearing under spring tension might very well gall and fail. Small shavings of metal can usually be found in the inner workings of a bolt assy. due to friction surfaces "bedding in", Thus the necessity of dis- assembling, cleaning and re-lubing a bolt occasionally. Remember the fanatical adherence of roller bearing specs by the people that brought us the Panzer tank?.............. A single bearing that isn't perfectly round will fail sooner or later. In the mean time it will also produce more drag than it's perfectly round counter part. The ISSUE is the quality of the bearing & it's seating surface NOT the comparison of one bearing vs. multiple. I have a single bearing "kit" from Stockade. Until I've been able to compare it to a multi bearing set up I don't feel qualified to make a judgement. Note: Thanks Dolomite for starting this interesting discussion ;) Dale

thomae
06-28-2011, 07:18 PM
I found a place to get some nice small thrust bearings with the races built into the washers. They are at a place called AVID and they sell bearings for RC cars and whatnot. I believe the one we need is the 5x12x4mm and they are only $3. Shipping is cheap too.
Link: http://www.avidrc.com/product/13/thrust-bearings/192/5x12x4-Thrust-Bearing-F5-12M-thrust-bearings.html

After purchasing just a few of the above mentioned bearings, I found that my hunch was correct and their outside diameter of 12mm is just a touch too big to use in the Stevens/Savage Bolts. Desired bearing outside diameter is between 11.5 and 11.7 mm (approx .454-.455 inches)

The good news is that their prices and shipping rates are extremely reasonable and they arrived at my home quickly.

Cheers,
Thomae