PDA

View Full Version : New long range build need some opinions

Pages : 1 [2]

LoneWolf
12-17-2013, 05:36 PM
It's a little late, but just for your knowledge, generally the higher the power, the less vertical travel a scope will have. The 4-16 PST has 86 MOA while the 6-24 has 65 MOA.

Mind you that your zero will be somewhere in the middle. I run a SWFA 12x42 SS. It has 30mils of adjustment and I run it on top of an EGW 20MOA Rail.

Running a 308 in my Custom Axis.

With the mil-quad reticle it's very easy to calculate holdovers.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/18/enudu9yp.jpg

Ticks are half mil markings and the diamonds are full mil.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/18/ere3e3eh.jpg

Here's the rig

Tarheelpwr
12-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Mind you that your zero will be somewhere in the middle. I run a SWFA 12x42 SS. It has 30mils of adjustment and I run it on top of an EGW 20MOA Rail.

Running a 308 in my Custom Axis.

With the mil-quad reticle it's very easy to calculate holdovers.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/18/enudu9yp.jpg

Ticks are half mil markings and the diamonds are full mil.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/18/ere3e3eh.jpg

Here's the rig

Not sure I follow how your reply addresses my comment? You can't make a generalization across brands either. The 3-15 SS I just got has 36 mil of elevation. It blows the PST away.

Variable vs fixed are also completely different animals.

LoneWolf
12-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Not sure I follow how your reply addresses my comment? You can't make a generalization across brands either. The 3-15 SS I just got has 36 mil of elevation. It blows the PST away.

Variable vs fixed are also completely different animals.

Example: to get a round on target at 890yds I need to add 8.5mils on the scope. Normally I'll adjust .5mils and hold 8 mils on the reticle. So even if you were at the extreme end of adjustment on the scope, you still have an additional 10 mils on the reticle or you can use in order to make a minimal adjustment.

I just feel like the set up with a SWFA gives you more options than you get from other optics unless you're dropping $$$$ on an optic.

nocturnalnasty
12-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Here's a prime example of what can be done with a plain-Jane 110. This is a lefty too.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/18/ene5u5uh.jpg
Left handed 110
CBI 26" 1 in 10" SS barrel
Choate tactical stock
4.5x30 Bushnell 6500 Tactical
Burris Signature Zee rings 20 MOA
EGW base 20 MOA

Brent
12-18-2013, 10:40 AM
20 MOA base as mentioned just moves your reticle down in the range of adjustment so that you have more for LR vertical adjustment. For example my NF on a zero MOA base tops out at 52 MOA vertical on my rifle. I have another 10 MOA in the reticle for a total of about 62 MOA. With a 20 MOA base, I will have 82 total vertical and 72 in the scope.

What this does affect is your zero. If at 100 yards and zeroed with zero MOA base you need to adjust down 20 MOA with a 20 MOA base installed. My thought for LR work is that might simply rezero your rifle at 200 or 300 yards instead of 100.

Bubble- I am not sure if you are kidding or not on this subject but for LR range work I am not sure how you plan to shoot precision without an anti-cant device. When compensating for 600" of drop it does not take much cant on the rifle to be off on horizontal/windage.

For LR precision work set up and accuracy are the name of the game. Repeatable accuracy is the goal. Shooter to scope alignment is commonly an issue where the cheek rest is too low or below the line of sight. This usually created vertical stringing of bullets on the target. Windage stringing is commonly canting and head tilting.

If you are planning to shoot in mountain terrain, that is what I do, then you have a lot more things to consider. Right now I will assume you will shoot a range with minimal atmospheric condition changes and will be shooting from a bench vs prone. Try and use bags vs a sled. Sleds are great for accuracy but teach you little about hold, breath, and trigger control. Also, sleds increase velocity and if you go to a bag it is not uncommon to see bullet drop issues. I have watched chrono speeds vary by as much as 100 fps from a sled to a light shoulder hold. That is really bad for LR precision shooting.

yobuck
12-18-2013, 12:10 PM
i guess im a little confused as to how a rest or a hold could affect velocity?
i sometimes joke about pulling the trigger harder on longer shots. but according
to that logic it might have an affect?
as for the anti cant devices and the affect of canting on long shots.
there is no argument that canting can affect the shot.
when shooting at targets time isnt usually an issue. in a hunting situation however
that is often not the case. you can take all the time you need but dont be expecting
cooperation from your target. at least in this camp and most others i know its get it done
or get off the gun. a year is a long time to wait for (maybe) another oppurtunity.
an instinctive shooter will be better than a precision shooter every time in a hunting situation.
that includes long range.