PDA

View Full Version : Neck sizing vs FL sizing

Dennis
03-01-2010, 05:03 PM
What is the preference: Neck sizing or Full Length sizing?

Is it worth buying the neck sizing dies? If so, which one is the best to use? Should you get a bushing type die or standard sizing die?

bpratl
03-01-2010, 05:19 PM
I have experienced a lot less runout using a collet or a bushing die opposed to a straight neck sizing die. Just my .02

Blue Avenger
03-01-2010, 05:51 PM
neck, if for use in same gun

rjtfroggy
03-01-2010, 05:52 PM
I personaly full length resize everything, but that is just because I am too lazy to seperate for different rifles.

Blue Avenger
03-01-2010, 06:09 PM
I personaly full length resize everything, but that is just because I am too lazy to seperate for different rifles.
most all my.223 get FL for that reason.

jrmy_1
03-01-2010, 10:00 PM
full length for semi-auto and neck size for bolt action

steveinwv
03-02-2010, 12:15 PM
My RCBS X-die sizes the body noticeably smaller than my Hornady FL die. It's like the best of both worlds.

Tightgroups
03-02-2010, 03:17 PM
As mentioned above, all semi autos get full length sizing.
For bolt guns you can neck size for both accuracy, and longer case life, but this ammo is rifle sensitive and should not be shot in other rifles of the same caliber. And you should have a FL sizing die or body only die anyway, as you will need it. So it depends on what type of shooting you plan to do. For target shooting you will find most will neck size using bushing type dies, on expensive brass. For other types of shooting FL sizing may be best, its the easiest, quickest and cheapest.
Mike.

kkeene
03-02-2010, 07:11 PM
All my bolt gun brass gets neck sized only with a Lee collet. You don't need to lube the cases, faster reloading, and typically in my guns better accuracy.

Keith

bpratl
03-02-2010, 08:51 PM
All my bolt gun brass gets neck sized only with a Lee collet. You don't need to lube the cases, faster reloading, and typically in my guns better accuracy.
Keith

+2

Dennis
03-02-2010, 09:05 PM

Your setting your die up to bump the case shoulder?

Thanks for your reply! Dennis

kkeene
03-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Your setting you die up to bump the case shoulder?

The Lee only re-sizes the neck. I have never had chambering issues (at least not yet) with many reloads on the same brass.

If you want to bump the shoulder only you need a special die.

For best accuracy run case up into the collet die, then rotate case about 90 degrees and run the case up into the die a second time. This seems to produce very little run out in my ammo.

Keith

AR10Tfan
03-26-2010, 02:08 PM
I generally set my redding die up so that the ram cams over but I also use the redding competition shell holders. I just shoulder bump my cases about .002 from fired lenght -this I do to make sure all the cases are uniform in lenght - I also neck size the case at the same time, using the neck tension bushion but no expander ball. works well in my bolt gun. ;D