PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Anyone ever converted a Rascal to a magazine feed?

paul90
12-12-2013, 11:12 PM
Just wondering if anyone has converted a Rascal to a magazine feed with a Mark 2 stock or some other Savage rimfire stock and magazine hardware.

I got one for my kids, and I was thinking it would be handier with a dbm.

thanks

Cycler
12-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Ill ask the same question about a MkI Youth single shot. From the parts diagram it seems I would need to remove the single shot guide from the action, add a magazine housing and spring and new bottom metal after opening out the wood stock. Yes?

KRP
12-15-2013, 10:44 PM
Why would it be "handier" with a DBM? My first firearm was a single shot 22(original made in Oregon Chipmunk I received for my sixth birthday) and I never thought a DBM would be a benefit...same with the rifles I own now. Maybe I haven't grown up much in the last 30 years though?

fartsinpublic
12-16-2013, 12:16 AM
It is handier if you want to load their mags for them. Their little fingers have trouble pushing down the rounds, and it takes a while as frustration builds. At least that's how it goes with my 6 year old son and my Mark II 5-rd mags. He gets two, maybe three, in and hands them back to me.

I think the single shot has a purpose beyond focusing on the "load, shoot, extract...repeat" process. It allows them to be conscious of picking up a round, clambering it, shooting it, etc., and not "lose count of what is in mag and/or chamber" and possibly take a loaded rifle off the bench or shooting area. (Not that I'm assuming the kids would be out shooting unsupervised, but you know, focus on basics, and minimize that minuscule chance.)

heck, if it were up to me, I'd want a belt-fed 22LR conversion. :p

Cycler
12-16-2013, 09:24 PM
I was thinking if I could convert the Mk IY to a magazine feed I could also reinstall the single shot adapter when I wanted to and have both types available in one rifle.

paul90
12-17-2013, 03:11 PM
They have spent two years shooting the rascal, the first year with the peep sight that came with the gun, and the second year with a scope. Its not a matter of teaching them how to shoot, they are very good at making one bullet count.

The safety of the single shot is fantastic, but very few hunting rifles they will encounter in the future are single shot. Using a bolt action magazine fed rifle would be the next step.

I want to increase the number of shots fired in one session. I have to travel 35 min to the range one way, so the more shooting time I can get in one session the better they will be at shooting.

I have one rascal for two kids, if I could make it a magazine feed one kid could be loading their magazine while the other shoots. I didn't want to involve two firearms at this time, so I was just wondering if the rascal could be converted to a dbm.

They are not very big kids, so the rascal is still the right size, I just want to speed up the loading process.

The Rascal is a great rifle, much better than the pellet gun I used to learn how to shoot.

In the end I will have to likely buy a different rifle.

If Savage doesn't come out with a Rascal with a magazine, I might have to get them a Ruger American Rimfire. Its no Savage, but it does have a magazine, and a shortened stock.

ShawneeB
12-20-2013, 11:53 PM
I think it would be tricky but wouldn't say it can't be done until I brain in gear focus on it and all angles. The front of the molded trigger guard is pretty far forward, taking up space a mag well would need. (Fixable,) I handled and shot one a few times I got it for a lady friend raises Caspian horses and lives alone. She is a small person, the perfect gun for her, she's 1 inch away from being a "little people"

Next time I see her, I'll look at it closely, and get back to this thread. If it could be done, good chance I can.

I don't think Rascal will be a factory version with mag, RAR is nice but other things can be done to older Savage Host guns too making them youth size. Stocks with spacers, shorten bbl, none is hard or rocketscience.

fartsinpublic
12-23-2013, 12:39 AM
I looked at my son's new orange Rascal for a brief moment while collecting it today.

i will take a closer look after a few days , as well as some pics of the receiver/ejection port and feed ramp, but it is "under wraps" for now ;)

My initial guess is "no, or not easily", since there appears to be an action screw right below where a mag would go, just behind the spring loaded feed ramp. I'll have to sit with it a bit after he gets don't tearing the wrapping off, etc.

Cycler
12-24-2013, 08:16 PM
I called Savage about the Mk IY singe shot to dbm conversion and was told it can't be done.

paul90
12-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Thanks for looking into it. I guess the Rascal will stay like it is.

GSRswapandslow
12-25-2013, 06:22 PM
I took my daughters apart last night to frog lube it up (part of her Christmas) and I don't see it happening