PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 Convert to detachable Mag

LndShrk
12-12-2013, 06:54 PM
I just recently picked up a 110 .300 win. It is not currently equipped with a Detachable Mag.

I would like to change that but cannot find info on what exactly I need to do. :confused:

Can anyone point me in the direction of what it takes to convert?

Thanks

thirty06
12-12-2013, 07:43 PM
First, is the rifle a staggered feed or a centerfeed?

stangfish
12-12-2013, 07:49 PM
First, is the rifle a staggered feed or a centerfeed?

To determine this you need to know one of two things. as each round is chambered the next one in the mag will alternate from the left to the right and back. A center feed both sides will "funnel to the center of the magazine. The other way to tell is if the mag is attached to the action or the stock. To the stock is center feed.

jpdown
12-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Is it a Savage LA Center Feed (blind magazine attached to stock) or an older LA Stagger Feed (magazine box attaced to action)? If it is a Savage LA CF, then you are going to need the DBM frame assembley and bottom cap in either composite (plastic) or metal. Your current metal 300 Win Mag box and follower attach to the bottom cap to form your DBM and they slide up into and latch to the DBM frame assembly. And of course you are going to need a Savage LA CF stock inletted to accept the DBM bottom metal or composite frame assembly. Usually the easiest way to find these parts is to order directly from Savage Arms Parts. Otherwise, contact vendors like SSS and NSS on this site to see if they have the parts in stock. Also become a paid member and put a WTB ad and watch the classified section.

idahoorion
12-13-2013, 10:50 AM
the CF hinged floorplate and the DBM frame, do they use the same inletting. I am interested in converting a 111 internal magazine (3006)

Idahoorion

LndShrk
12-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Wow.. Thanks for all the insight. I just picked this rifle up so I have not had allot of time to go through it. It is new but 2nd hand. Never fired still has the tags on trigger etc.

It is a Center feed based on the rounds feeding to the center. I have not tore it down yet to see if the mag is attached or not. I will do that this weekend.

jpdown
12-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Both the CF HFP frame assembly and the metal or plastic DBM frame assembly will fit a Savage CF stock and use the same bottom inletting. You snap your current metal blind magazine box with follower to the HFP assembly or DBM bottom cap. You also need the shorter front stock screw. You can also use the composite (plastic) DBM frame assembly and DBM bottom cap. The composite DBM is used in wood stocked Savage LWH and Savage Trophy Hunter models. Savage did away with the DBM frame assembly (surround) on the synthetic stocks used on the 2014 Hunter XP and Trophy Hunter XP models.

The picture below shows an example of a recent build where I use the new style (thicker front lip) metal trigger guard for a Savage CF top bolt release action and a composite (plastic) DBM frame assembly and bottom cap in a walnut Savage 114 CF American Classic stock. The composite (plastic) DBM frame assembly and bottom cap (Axis style latch-up) are about 4 oz lighter than the metal HFP and DBM version.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/jpdown/PICT0047_zpsd2d1d43e.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/jpdown/media/PICT0047_zpsd2d1d43e.jpg.html)

idahoorion
12-13-2013, 08:04 PM
Jpdown, that was one of the most complete answers I have ever seen posted. Thank you for that and now I just have locate the metal hinged bottom frame (I posted in the WTB). I was wondering why a shorter screw in the front but your photo makes it quite plain to see.

your conversion looks great!
thanks
Idahoorion

LndShrk
12-15-2013, 12:58 AM
Is it a Savage LA Center Feed (blind magazine attached to stock) or an older LA Stagger Feed (magazine box attaced to action)? If it is a Savage LA CF, then you are going to need the DBM frame assembley and bottom cap in either composite (plastic) or metal. Your current metal 300 Win Mag box and follower attach to the bottom cap to form your DBM and they slide up into and latch to the DBM frame assembly. And of course you are going to need a Savage LA CF stock inletted to accept the DBM bottom metal or composite frame assembly. Usually the easiest way to find these parts is to order directly from Savage Arms Parts. Otherwise, contact vendors like SSS and NSS on this site to see if they have the parts in stock. Also become a paid member and put a WTB ad and watch the classified section.

Ok I had a few moments today to take the stock off and I was mistaken. It is not a CF. It is a Stagger Feed and the mag is attached to the action. As well it does not have the clip on the mag.

Is it still possible to convert?

stangfish
12-15-2013, 01:50 AM
Yes but you will need to have a die grinder and a carbide burr.

thirty06
12-15-2013, 10:04 AM
Yes but you will need to have a die grinder and a carbide burr.

Unless you got lucky and the action has lengthwise slots on the outside. These are for the mag box housing to fit into.

stangfish
12-15-2013, 10:20 AM
Unless you got lucky and the action has lengthwise slots on the outside. These are for the mag box housing to fit into.

I should have been more specific. If you are going to convert your stagger feed action to a center feed DBM as in the picture, you will need to mill some material from the bottom of the action so the CF Mag Box will fit. That material will be in the forward/breech end of the magazine port

jpdown
12-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Ok I had a few moments today to take the stock off and I was mistaken. It is not a CF. It is a Stagger Feed and the mag is attached to the action. As well it does not have the clip on the mag.

Is it still possible to convert?

In my experience, it would be easier and cheaper to start with a Savage CF action that already has the DBM hardware.

stangfish
12-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Agreed. The only way I would consider it would be if I had the stock and DBM frame and cap. Then it is just the fitting to the action. Otherwise it would be cost prohibitive. A stock with bottom metal might be found for 100 though.

LndShrk
12-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Thanks All.

Guess I will just do a new stock with a bottom door.

Then I will have to buy another gun I guess. :tea: