PDA

View Full Version : Boyds Tacticool......

RyanG
12-12-2013, 10:47 AM
I got home from work yesterday afternoon and I had a box from Boyds waiting for me.... I ordered a Youth Classic in pepper for my son's 260 for Christmas.... He is gonna be so excited! I wanna give it to him now so we can start bedding it and getting it ready to shoot for when his brother comes home on leave next week. Mom says that I have to wait.

Anyway when I ordered the youth stock I figured what the heck and ordered myself a Tacticool. I wasnt sure what I thought of these stocks. I like the shape of them but I still wasnt sure. Well the pictures on Boyds side do not do the stock justice! I am so pleased and cannot wait to get a barreled action into it!

So now I torn.... Do I put my 260 into it or do I wait till next month and drop my 7mm Rem into it..... Man I love these kind of problems.

Ryan

RP12
12-12-2013, 12:34 PM
I assume the 260 is a long action ?

Tackdriver
12-14-2013, 06:02 PM
For the price I might have to pick one up. I couldn't really find any reviews on the black version anywhere, but I imagine the laminate is pretty solid.

bootsmcguire
12-14-2013, 06:08 PM
For the price I might have to pick one up. I couldn't really find any reviews on the black version anywhere, but I imagine the laminate is pretty solid.

Tackdriver, IIRC the "black version" is a laminate with a black texture coating over it.

Marine24
12-17-2013, 12:44 PM
I've heard of Boyd's stocks before but never personally used one. While I always prefer the looks of a highly figured wood stock, but it doesn't do too well in the Colorado climate. My 340 Weatherby cracked near the rear of the action and my exotic wood stocks for my 1911 haven't fared well either due to them shrinking.

Boyd's laminate should do just fine and give me the wood look that I like. Particularly impressed with the Prairie Hunter line in nutmeg. Lot cheaper than a Manner's stock that I'm putting on my 260 Rem build and nice upgrade for a Savage 11 Prairie Dog rifle that I have coming in.

missed
12-17-2013, 12:59 PM
I have one on the way I can't wait!

Marine24
12-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Any words of wisdom working with Boyd stocks? Easy drop in or can I expect some fitting being required? I'll pillar and fiberglass bed the stock (or actually write a check from someone else to do it).

snowgetter1
12-17-2013, 08:24 PM
My tacticool and other Boyd's stocks all fit right in. Pillars would be a plus and bedding, but not needed if you don't want it. A larger aftermarket recoil lug would require some in letting.

missed
12-17-2013, 08:47 PM
My tacticool and other Boyd's stocks all fit right in. Pillars would be a plus and bedding, but not needed if you don't want it. A larger aftermarket recoil lug would require some in letting.

I'm bedding mine. If I like it enough it will be getting a bedding block.

RyanG
12-17-2013, 11:53 PM
If you bed it how will a bedding block help? I guess my question is isnt doing your own bedding the same as a bedding block? Or even better?

FW Conch
12-19-2013, 12:13 PM
No, it is not. A bedding block that is built into the stock with a full skeleton is about as good as you can get on a "standard" stock. A bedding block that is installed in an existing stock is as good as the installation job. The only thing that may be better is a "barrel block". Bedding blocks are great, but they do add a lot of weight to a sporting rifle. ;-)