PDA

View Full Version : 10 TR First range trip

big honkin jeep
12-12-2013, 12:58 AM
Well after 8 straight days of rain we had beautiful weather today. Sunny and about 60 degrees with no wind. After waiting far too long I finally got my 10 TR to the range. I had a variety of factory ammo and decided to break her in and zero the Burris Fullfield E1 3-9x40 I topped her with. I shot off my sleeping bag as a front rest with a rear sand bag.
I started off pulling the bolt and bore sighting her at 50 yards. First I loaded it up with the cheapest ammo I could find, Some steel cased Tula 147grFMJ. The first shot was 1/2" high and 1&1/2 inches right. Cleaned the barrel made a scope adjustment and fired again. The next shot was 3" left and 1 1/2" high. cleaned the barrel and fired 3 more cleaning between shots. Yep this ammo is crap and it looked like a shotgun pattern of about 4 1/2". I finished off the box of Tula cleaning between shots.
I backed the target up to 120yds (the berm) and switched to some Federal power shock 150gr. for the first couple I zeroed my scope and then it was shooting about 2" 3 shot groups, I cleaned between 3 shot strings. Enough messing around, I opened a box of 168gr Federal Gold medal match. I fired a 3 shot group with 2 touching and one about 1/2" away cleaned and then fired 2 more rounds at the same bullseye. Wound up with a 5 shot group of just a little under 3/4". I fired one more 5 shot group with the Gold medal match and repeated the 3/4" result and then re zeroed and confirmed dead center bull with the match ammo. Lastly I opened a box of Federal "Deer Thug" 165gr bonded core. I fired 2 5 shot groups and didn't have to re zero. They came in 1/2" high just above the POI of the FGMM and in little clusters right at 1".
I'm very happy with the way this rifle shot decent factory ammo and now that I have some fire formed brass I cant wait to tune up a good hand load for it. I absolutely love the Burris E1 scopes and I now have 3. They are super bright, with clear sharp images and the adjustments are exactly on the money. I haven't seen a better optic available at twice the price. This is a great combination for sure and I cant wait to get it in the shooting house and put some meat in the freezer with it.