PDA

View Full Version : Accustock type 2 vs. type1?

ronc54
12-12-2013, 12:42 AM
After much research I ordered a 111fcns in 30-06. Wanted the accuracy more than looks and great reviews on this model. All the reviews I read described the accustock with three action screws, the middle one for the "wedge". Just received my rifle and it has the newer type 2, no wedge and two action screws. Is this an improved design or just a cost cutting change? Can I expect the same accuracy as the type 1? Thanks, new here, excellent forum.. Ron

thomae
12-12-2013, 08:07 AM
They only made the stock with the wedge for a short while before realizing the wedge did not add much value and was not worth the trouble. The accustock without the wedge is just as rigid etc. as the one with. Over the course of the years it does not seem to have had a marked effect on accuracy compared to the stock with the wedge.
Accuracy will depend on many details, including you the shooter.

Welcome to the forum. Read through the various sections and look at old posts. There is a lot of information there that may be useful to you.

squirrelsniper
12-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Some people reported having issues with the original AccuStock with the wedge. Most common among these was a shift in zero any time the stock was removed and then re-installed on the action. Some people had this problem while some did not (my original AccuStock rifle never had any problems).

The AccuStock wasn't on the market long before they got switched to the Gen 2 version without the wedge. It's been pretty smooth sailing ever since. Therefore, most people want the Gen 2 stock without the wedge.

PS: Welcome to the forum :welcome:

ronc54
12-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Thanks, appreciate the info. I do want to remove the stock to lighten the trigger a little. The manual instructions for stock installation version 2 accustock "the same as standard stock". Instructions indicate you loosely install front and rear action screws, place butt on ground and while pushing down on barrel to seat the recoil lug tighten the front screw "securely" then the rear. No mention of torque specs as with the wedge version 1. Wondering if the 40 inch pound torque is same for version 2 or maybe it does not matter as long as they are snug?

Sold a Weatherby Mark V ultra lighweight a couple of years ago, never was that accurate and was without a long range rifle. Not much of a hunter but may do an elk hunt in a year or so with my son in law. 30-06 is my caliber for logistics have a ton of brass and ammo. I have several military rifles in that caliber (collector) dies, etc and plan to get into reloading again. Decided to get a "poor man's sniper/target" that would also hunt, so nothing too heavy. Locked in on this rifle due to some amazing accuracy reports for something in this price range. I have read reports of half inch groups with match ammo and around 1 MOA with basic hunting loads. That is the limit of my skills. Anyone have similar results?

Thanks again.

Cycler
12-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Another reason Savage deleted the wedge is that it violated someone else's patent.