PDA

View Full Version : Barrel lead times ?

Westcliffe01
12-11-2013, 10:52 PM
I still have not received my 6.5x284 Shilen Select match barrel, which I ordered in April.. This order was placed with Jim at NSS and while I did get a fully custom 8x57 barrel which I ordered a month later in May, I never seem to get closer to a due date with Shilen on the 6.5. Every call over the last 8 months has had the same response 6-8 weeks out. About 6 weeks ago I was told that the blank was finally ready (1 of 6 or 8 ?) but when I called today, I was given a new date for late January.

So for me, I will no longer order any "not in stock" Shilen barrel, period. If I call and Jim has it, great, if not, it will come from someone else. Jim is sending me a CBI in the same configuration (Savage small shank, 26" varmint 6.5x284 1:8 twist) so I will find out how the CBI barrel is in comparison.

So this is the second barrel maker on my "do not order list" after Mc Gowan, who did a very similar thing late last year on my first barrel with them. Shilen got me 3 out of 4 barrels in a reasonable time, just never seem willing to close on the last one. It sounds like Shilen made a deliberate decision NOT to upstaff or do any expansion whatsoever, regardless of demand and they are not exactly open about having 30-40 week lead times on their prefit barrels either. When folks make those kinds of business decisions and then expect customers to simply wait until however long it takes, I take it as a signal that they never really needed my money in the first place.

Hotolds442
12-11-2013, 11:09 PM
I'm not surprised that the one you're still waiting for is in 6.5 caliber. The market has exploded on the 6.5, and finding anything in stock is next to impossible. But having to wait 40 weeks? That's somebody not doing their job at the manufacturing level. Putting them on your do not order list is probably a good choice, but if they don't know that you've done it or why, nothing will change.

Westcliffe01
12-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Thats why I am posting here and to alert potential buyers. I am happy with the 3 I have, but this last one has taken way too long and the lack of committment to meet a date is the worst kind of customer service ever.

DanSavage
12-12-2013, 09:09 PM
I recieved my .308 select match last month after a 7 month wait. You are very close, Shilen claims a 5-6 month lead time and they also said "however a select match may take longer." according to the e-mail they sent me in October

Westcliffe01
12-13-2013, 08:00 PM
I'm rather apalled that someone had to wait 7 months for a 308 barrel... Well, Jim came through for me and shipped me a CBI barrel in 2 days after we had our last discussion and a check for $40 to cover the difference in price. The CBI has an 11 deg target crown which is not my favorite for a field gun, but I will shoot it first to see how it is and re-crown it later with a recessed crown if it is a shooter.

If anyone has a barrel that they want, now is a good time to call Jim. He got a big delivery of barrels from CBI so it is just possible he might have what you need.

I still need an 8 twist 223 barrel for a Galil Build and a 308 for a FAL build, both will be custom match barrels in stainless steel. Neither weapon has a stellar accuracy reputation, but then the factory barrels are pretty crappy on both. The Galil is a rotating bolt so with a devent chamber it should not be too bad. I have seen a few accurate FAL rifles in my time, even if you have to turn off the gas to get the best groups....

Bike Effects
12-13-2013, 10:45 PM
I know nothing of how the barrel manufacturers do thier business but I have had better luck ordering direct from the barrel maker and taking the middle man out of that process. I can then get it chambered as another step.

Westcliffe01
12-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Jim at NSS probably orders thousands of barrels a year. I think he has more pull at Shilen (or anywhere else for that matter) than what I do. There are no local gunsmiths that I could recommend for a chambering job when it is for a match barrel. Artisans are paid too well here in SE Michigan to be getting into that kind of work. The profession (other than drilling and tapping for scope bases and the like in a mill drill) in fact seems to be dying out in this state.

Most of the FFL's I meet who handle transfers and do "light smithing" are in their late 60's. There are some excellent guys out there, but then they typically have a prouct line, like Pearse in Lansing, who offers custom actions, complete custom rifles, tube guns etc. They typically refuse to take a small job like chambering and crowning and turning a barrel tennon. I have asked.... Several times...

Dennis
12-14-2013, 12:38 AM
The profession (other than drilling and tapping for scope bases and the like in a mill drill) in fact seems to be dying out in this state.

Westcliff, I believe this is a problem nationwide! Were begging for apprentices. Getting the younger ones interested is worst than pulling teeth. You really have to love this profession to get into it.

Dennis

parkj5
12-14-2013, 02:54 AM
I know how u feel on Barrel lead times.I placed order for a 7mm-08 light varmit on Oct.1 was told barrel would be sent middle of Nov.called then was told Sometime in Dec.I have ordered 3 CBI barrels and this is the longest ive had to wait.I understand it is very busy this time of the year.

psharon97
12-14-2013, 11:09 AM
I waited about 7 months for my Brux 7mm remington Magnum barrel. I was told upfront however about the long wait times however.

Westcliffe01
12-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Dennis, a shop like http://www.pierceengineeringltd.com/ is not lacking for equipment to turn a barrel tennon, or the people to operate it.

http://www.pierceengineeringltd.com/photos/1315446692_2044346_action_med.jpg

If they can make custom clone Remington style actions, or tube guns
http://www.pierceengineeringltd.com/photos/1350001794_6775362_EP-243-01_1_med.jpg

Then the unwillingness to finish a barrel blank has other causes than lack of resources. Insufficient profit margin, possibly.

The cost of equipment is the main reason for the above, plus employing someone to properly operate the machines.
Dennis

Dennis
12-14-2013, 10:11 PM
Dennis, a shop like http://www.pierceengineeringltd.com/ is not lacking for equipment to turn a barrel tennon, or the people to operate it.

http://www.pierceengineeringltd.com/photos/1315446692_2044346_action_med.jpg

If they can make custom clone Remington style actions, or tube guns
http://www.pierceengineeringltd.com/photos/1350001794_6775362_EP-243-01_1_med.jpg

Then the unwillingness to finish a barrel blank has other causes than lack of resources. Insufficient profit margin, possibly.

I don't understand your reply as I was referring to the industry as a whole, not one company.

Dennis
12-14-2013, 10:45 PM
As stated, this is a problem nationwide.

Westcliffe01
12-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Who is the assignee on the patents ? I tried McGowan in both google and USPTO.gov and didn't find anything in either awarded or application patents ??? I have 4 patents myself and several more in process so I know my way around that website.

pdog06
12-15-2013, 05:38 PM
please stay on topic! This thread is not about what one company makes and its patents. It is about lead times for various barrels. If you would , however, like to give information on the lead times for your barrels so it contributes positively to this threads topic that would be appreciated.

The info you did post would be a good topic for its own thread though.

Westcliffe01
12-15-2013, 06:11 PM
Moderator, I started this thread. I stated that McGowan is on my "do not buy list" yet Dennis has to post in this thread anyhow. If vendors want to make claims regarding patents, they had better be prepared to back it up.

To get back on topic, Midway list 6 Shilen barrels in stock for the Savage small shank rifles. 260 1:8 Varmint, 308 S7 1:10, 243 Win 1:8 Varmint, 22-250 1:8 Varmint (thats an interesting one), 6.5x47 Lapua 1:8, 223 Wylde 26" Varmint 1:8