PDA

View Full Version : Magazine box reinstall?

725franky
03-01-2010, 11:28 AM
I have a savage 110 .30-06 and I removed the magazine box from the action. I was trying to replace it with a detachable mag box that I had from a 116 300 win mag; but, it ended up that the 300 box was too wide to fit on the action (which makes no sense to me). Now I want to put the original box back on but I can't seem to get it on there. What is the proper way to install the mag box? Anyone with tips or tricks?

Thanks,

Frank

pdog06
03-01-2010, 11:45 AM
flip action upside down. Take magbox and slide the tab on the trigger end of the box into its slot in the action. Now get a wide flathead screwdriver and a hammer. Take the head of the screwdriver and push down and in on the other tab on the magbox, at about a 45degree angle. When you get good pressure on the tab (like youre trying to push it into place) take the hammer and give it a whack on the back of the screwdriver handle(not your hand). This should allow the magbox to spring a bit, and as long as your are pushing down and in the box should drop right into place without warping the magbox.

This is also the way to remove the magbox, except you hold the screwdriver flat against the action instead of at an angle.

FYI, If you use pliers instead to squeeze the magbox it will warp, and probably cause you feeding problems. If you removed it this way you could run into problems fitting and/or feeding also.

Hope this helps.

Blue Avenger
03-01-2010, 12:21 PM
I have a savage 110 .30-06 I was trying to replace it with a detachable mag box that I had from a 116 300 win mag; but, it ended up that the 300 box was too wide to fit on the action (which makes no sense to me).
Thanks,

Frank
300wm is not a skinny ass .30-06 why would in not be bigger? ;D ;D

725franky
03-01-2010, 01:11 PM
I figured a LA savage would be a LA savage... I didn't think they changed their receivers based on the caliber.

The screw driver sounds like it should do the trick pretty well. Thanks for the suggestion.