PDA

View Full Version : Ejection issues

old_dood
12-11-2013, 08:48 PM
My 12 BR has never ejected a round correctly. I researched the problem here and determined my ejector is the new style and I added a .140 ball under the extractor but I still have the problem. The brass is Lapua. I contacted Savage customer service about the problem and was told they would only look at the rifle if I have the problem with factory ammo. I've never shot any factory rounds in it. If I had, and still had the problem, I'd have to send the rifle in to them. Is this typical? I seem to remember reading posts from others who had this problem in which the person was sent parts to try to repair.

stangfish
12-13-2013, 01:18 PM
So it sounds to me like you are extracting but not ejecting. What chambering are we dealing with? Have you tried to manualy depress the ejector? Does it move in and out easily?

old_dood
12-13-2013, 01:30 PM
6mm Norma BR. the ejector is fine. I removed it to determine if it was the new type and it is. I responded to Savage that I wasn't going to buy factory ammo to test with and basically got a "have a nice day then" response.

BillPa
12-13-2013, 02:27 PM
You may have to lengthen the retaining pin slot on the back end of the ejector to get a little more protrusion to keep the case against the lug race until it clears the port. Also, make sure the follower(tail) of the ejector moves freely in the spring. Sometimes they're a little rough and tend to drag in the coils. It doesn't take much but few turns in 200-320 paper to knock off the edges.

Bill

old_dood
12-13-2013, 05:53 PM
lengthened the back end of the slot but I'm afraid I screwed it up. I may have taken some off the flat also because now the ejector is binding badly and I can't close the bolt. The ejector sits out a little more but I can see it's not perfectly centered in the hole

sharpshooter
12-13-2013, 06:16 PM
The new style ejectors still don't solve any ejection problems. I have improved ejection kits available.

old_dood
12-13-2013, 06:17 PM
I sent an email to your company. no reply yet.

stangfish
12-13-2013, 06:25 PM
Lets go Lisa. Quit pampering Fred and check the emails.

sharpshooter
12-14-2013, 12:13 AM
Hey....tomorrow is my birthday, let her pamper me!:p

stangfish
12-14-2013, 12:20 AM
A sincere Happy Birthday Fred.

Dennis
12-14-2013, 12:47 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRED :usa2:

The new style ejectors still don't solve any ejection problems. I have improved ejection kits available.

I have tried the above SSS kits and they work, JMO

Dennis

dburkart
12-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Fred,

Happy Birthday !!!

I have received and installed the kits you provide for ejection with my 6mm BR but it is still not ejecting properly. I would be happy to sen the bolt to you for further adjustment if that is possible. Please advise and once again Happy Birthday !..

Dave

sharpshooter
12-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Once in a while I run into one of those extractors that are sitting on the fence whether they want to work or not. Sometimes just a few thousandths will make all the difference in the world. A lot of times I just simply change the extractor with another and all is well.

dburkart
12-15-2013, 09:09 AM
I have replaced both the ejector with the new style from Savage and with your kit as well as replacing the extractor with one of yours. I will try another extractor. Oddly enough I have a new Model 12 from Savage and it will extract and eject with that bolt although it is certainly not as smooth as the one in the custom Savage.

dburkart
12-15-2013, 01:36 PM
I replaced the extractor with the one from my Model 12 bolt that did eject the cases. Unfortunately it comes closer to ejecting the cartridge but they don't quite make it all the way out of the gun. I appreciate any and all suggestions..