PDA

View Full Version : New to me 116FSS needs help

KEN CO
12-11-2013, 03:41 AM
I picked up a 116 FSS from a local shop and it looked like it was used as a truck gun...You know the one thrown behind the back seat and rode there for years with no cleaning ect for years. I have cleaned it up and the bore is spotless, and the stock has a few scrapes on it but I can't complain for the $250 I gave for it! I plan on bedding the stock and painting the stock once it is done.

Help is needed on the trigger, I have read through the forum and tried adjusting the spring on the action but the best I can get before the adjustment screw releases pressure on the spring is about 5.75 lbs to 6.5 lbs, no consistency in the pull weight. Any suggestions before I dump this trigger and by a after market one (Rifle Basix, SSS, ect).

Thanks,
Ken CO

big honkin jeep
12-11-2013, 10:49 AM
I assume it's an older flat back. If so be very careful if you are simply adjusting the tension on the trigger return spring. It needs a nice arch in it or the rifle can discharge on closing the bolt and/or moving the safety to the off position. My favored method of adjusting this spring is to simply replace it with a lighter one made of .043 music wire. (hardware store) Does the trigger have a sear adjustment screw? This can also improve the pull quite a bit if properly adjusted. When tuning a Savage 3 screw trigger it is also important to adjust the safety screw and the overtravel screw so that everything works together as it should. Whatever you do don't forget to lock down the screws when finished because recoil can make unwanted further adjustments. I'm pretty sure that if you do a search here it will take you to a couple of threads on this subject. Good luck

LHitchcox
12-11-2013, 11:00 AM
The easiest wire to get hold of is to buy a $1.00 buzz bait, not a spinner bait- they are are too thin, off the rack at WalMart. Use the current factory wire as a guide and cut the buzz bait wire to match. If cut carefully, you can get two trigger wires from one lure. Since it is much narrower in diameter, it will give a reduced weight of pull while still maintaining a good margin of safety.

CharlieNC
12-11-2013, 11:07 AM
If it's not, then get one of the old 3-screw Savage triggers. You can probably pick one up for $20 or so from the usual SSS or NSS sources or place an ad here. You can tune it to be as good as any aftermarket, except maybe one of the expensive BR models.

LHitchcox
12-11-2013, 06:15 PM
The last 3-screw I bought from Jim Briggs cost $35. They are becoming rare. Of course there are gunsmiths all over with a few laying around from the rifles they swapped out triggers on.

KEN CO
12-12-2013, 02:10 AM
Mine is a top bolt release model. It has a set screw for the wire spring and 2 more set screws on the trigger, guess that would make it a 3 screw model....

I tried to upload photos but the computer is being a pain tonight.

Thanks,
Ken CO