PDA

View Full Version : Can you fit a accustock on a 116 rifle with top bolt release

paul90
12-11-2013, 12:34 AM
I have a Savage 116 Alaskan Brush Hunter that came with a standard long action blind mag centerfeed with top bolt release. Could I screw it into a 116 LA Bear hunter accu-stock with the hinged floor plate with triggerguard bolt release? The Bear hunter model was for a heavy barrel like the Brush Hunter so the barrel channel should be big enough.

Could you just notch the stock for the top bolt release?

I was going to put a PTG bottom metal into the stock I have already, but wonder if this would be option if the inletting didn't go well.

The opening on the bottom for hinged floorplate would be the same as a dbm correct?

If anyone has an ideas I would appreciate the advice.

Thanks

bootsmcguire
12-11-2013, 12:44 AM
The openings for factory DBM and HFP are the same. To the best of my recollection there are a couple guys here who have fit the bottom release accu-stock to the top release actions. I would do a search here and see what you find. IIRC they just notched out for the top release, but don't quote me on that.

cqh1111
12-11-2013, 11:29 AM
You need an accustock recoil lug also. A regular non-accustock recoil lug will not fit in an accustock.

stangfish
12-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Recoil lug and possibly notch for bolt release. There are some variations in bottom metals depending on the profile of the stock. I have used a bench grinder for this modificatioon and looks like the factory did the same.

thomae
12-15-2013, 12:24 AM
I dropped a short action Stevens 200 into an Accustock. I changed the recoil lug and notched the stock for the upper bolt release. The stock had mold marks where the relief should be for the upper bolt release so it took all of about a minute with a dremel sanding drum to take care of that.

Nothing else needed to be done. I already had a metal trigger guard and I got the DBM setup with the Accustock when i purchased it used on THIS forum.