PDA

View Full Version : 7mm08 brass

Pages : [1] 2

gunrack
12-10-2013, 02:04 PM
What is the best brand brass to use for reloading? New to reloading and having trouble finding any brass for this caliber.

Thanks!

fgw_in_fla
12-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Whichever brass the rifle likes best.
I find a more consistent accuracy with Federal and longer lasting with Remington. I get more reloads with Remington with neck sizing & annealing.

Your statement about not being able to find any pretty much sums it up. You're a new reloader so grab what you can, when you can & have a go of it.
After you're a bit more experienced, then look for what "works" best.

Just a few tid bits of info from yer 'ol Uncle frank...

n4ue
12-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Hi. What Frank said. I have 3 7-08s, one pistol and two rifles.
Don't forget that you can use both 308 and 243 brass which are a LOT easier to find. I use both in addition to 7-08 stuff.....

ron

earl39
12-10-2013, 02:19 PM
You could neck down lake city 7.62 brass and have really good brass.

fgw_in_fla
12-10-2013, 02:31 PM
I should have mentioned that. Works good to get started with. Just don't forget the head stamp still says .308 win after you make it a 7mm-08.
But it'll get you going if you can score some .308 brass.

gunrack
12-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Thanks guys! Looks like I will be doing a little more shopping around and a lot more saving brass. I started saving it as soon as I started shooting it but it's mixed brass. I don't guess it matters much. Federal, Rem, and Winchester is what I have so far.

FW Conch
12-10-2013, 02:53 PM
gunrack, it does matter. The different brands of cases have different case volumes. The load work up needs to be separate for each one, especially the Federal, which I find to be thicker with less volume than the other two.

fgw_in_fla
12-10-2013, 02:56 PM
If you're looking for accuracy, I'd group them by manufacturer & amount of times fired.

The amount of times fired is a real good idea to keep track of. After 5, 6, 7 firings & sizings brass can get funky.

What brand you have the most of?

fgw_in_fla
12-10-2013, 02:57 PM
gunrack, it does matter. The different brands of cases have different case volumes. The load work up needs to be separate for each one, especially the Federal, which I find to be thicker with less volume than the other two.

He said what I wanted to say but I just woke up from a nap. Brain is still trying to re-boot.
For the 3rd time.

gunrack
12-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Conch, poor choice of words on my part.

gunrack
12-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks i will be sure to remember that. I want them as accurate as i can get them.

mag41vance
12-13-2013, 06:50 AM
What is the best brand brass to use for reloading? New to reloading and having trouble finding any brass for this caliber.

Thanks!

Since you're new to reloading, go ahead and buy some loaded ammo from someone like Midway(they have PPU ammo which has decent brass and it's under $20. Your rifle will fire-form your cases and you'll have brass to get started with. Perhaps by the time you wear out the PPU brass, other brass will be in supply. I like the Norma brass for the 708

Rifleshooter308
12-13-2013, 08:39 AM
I picked up some once fired 7-08 to reform to .260 Remington. It was mostly Winchester with some Hornady. The Winchester is excellent as was the Hornady. Nice tight pockets and uniform neck thickness. I'm a Federal hater. That stuff is two maybe three firings then it's junk. The primer pockets just don't hold up. Lapua is of course the tier one stuff.

fgw_in_fla
12-13-2013, 10:32 AM
I picked up some once fired 7-08 to reform to .260 Remington. It was mostly Winchester with some Hornady. The Winchester is excellent as was the Hornady. Nice tight pockets and uniform neck thickness. I'm a Federal hater. That stuff is two maybe three firings then it's junk. The primer pockets just don't hold up. Lapua is of course the tier one stuff.

Funny how that works...
I prefer Fed brass in my 30.06 & 25.06. 2nd choice would be Remington. Anytime I've had a problem with brass its always Winchester. Split necks, case head sep - Winchester every time.

Even though I agree Fed brass primer pockets stretch a bit after a few firings, I'm getting 8 to 12 firings from 30.06 brass by neck sizing & using CCI primers. I refuse to use Win Primers ever since I had 2 boxes that were defective. They were burning thru the face & ruined a few bolt heads.
As for accuracy, Fed brass is the choice again. In my .243 & .308 - worst accuracy is with Win brass.
Remington brass always seemed to be the middle of the road. Reasonably good accuracy & lasts long without splits, etc.

gunrack
12-13-2013, 10:34 AM
The factory ammo I have bought so far is the Fusion stuff from Federal, then I bought some Winchester, and Remington. I saved it all but will keep my eyes open.

fgw_in_fla
12-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Fed Fusion is nice stuff. The Savage rep had a cases of it when he was at out local range last year. It did real well in the 110BA as well as other rifles I got to shoot that day.

LHitchcox
12-14-2013, 10:12 AM
You could neck down lake city 7.62 brass and have really good brass.

I found some of the LC brass at the last gun show. I have always converted .308 to 7-08 since we shoot .308s too. An extra benefit of using .308 brass is that it comes out a bit short in the neck and you may not ever have to trim the cases.

gunrack
12-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Several guys have mentioned using different brass. Do you just use a neck sizing die to neck the case down or full length sizing die? I've never necked down any brass before.

stangfish
12-14-2013, 12:07 PM
I found some of the LC brass at the last gun show. I have always converted .308 to 7-08 since we shoot .308s too. An extra benefit of using .308 brass is that it comes out a bit short in the neck and you may not ever have to trim the cases.

Several guys have mentioned using different brass. Do you just use a neck sizing die to neck the case down or full length sizing die? I've never necked down any brass before.
Just use some quality lube on the outside of the neck. It will squeeze right on down. Not too liberal or it will give you lube dents. Some on the inside is good too due to the extra brass in the region.

fgw_in_fla
12-14-2013, 01:16 PM
The few times I used a .308 case to make a 7-08, I didn't even have to grease up the neck. Body only. Worked out OK.

Do whatever you're comfortable with but, as Stang said, don't over lube it. You'll have wrinkled shoulders on your brass.