PDA

View Full Version : Options for Left Hand

at4rxj
12-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Savage 110, long action 30-06, staggered feed

I'm helping a buddy with a left handed hunting rifle setup. He doesn't want a heavy tactical style stock, but will be hunting from a stand so it doesn't have to be a "lightweight" stock. Budget is a factor... I don't think he's going to drop $400 on a stock, but conversely I don't want to lead him to getting a piece of junk.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

RP12
12-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Factory plastic or wood stocks will work. Boyds may have a laminate stock for him also. Is it a blind mag rifle ?

missed
12-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Second on Boyds, us lefties do get short changed on stocks.

at4rxj
12-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Yes, a blind mag.
I should have specified it probably needs to be synthetic. This will be an all weather gun.

How well would a boyds (either laminate or plain) hold up to getting rained on? If I put some kind of sealer or finish/clear coat on it would it hold up?

I've found the bell and carlson carbelite stocks that say they'll work for right or left hand, but I'm not sure what kind of barrel channel they have (or how easy it is to open up). I've used a bell and carlson duramaxx a long time ago and liked it, but I guess they've been discontinued.

GaryB
12-10-2013, 07:11 PM
This is an inexpensive stock that in my opinion is very well made.

http://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage-LA-Staggered-Feed-Old-Style-Left-Hand-Tactical-Stock-by-Choate.html

I have this same stock in a left hand short action and could not be happier. It's very rigid and a drop in fit.
Do check your screw spacing and make sure you get the right one, they make several versions to match the many different Savage action configurations.