PDA

View Full Version : I wrung the 2506AI out a lil today

Pages : 1 2 [3]

okie2
12-03-2009, 12:39 AM
25-06 has always been overated if you ask me. after reading this thread tho, i have some serious dought. i still prefer the higher bc's of a .243, but the velocities and groups you posted have me thinking. i don't want to get into a pissin' match hear, but with that kind of accomplishment why not step it up to a bullet that has better offerings like a 6.5 cal. anyways best of luck to you, and i myseld am considering somehthingsimular, but may jst stick to a .270 and .243 for light work. anyways, best of luck to ya.

Well I think if you have a 243 and a 270 you dont really need a 25-06. I do think you could get rid of the 243, 270 and the 25-06 will do what both of those guns can. There is just something special about 100 grain bullets going above 3400 fps, it really seems to destroy things. Also if you want to literally explode coyotes load up some 85 grain nosler's and you will be amazed. Now I have coyotes killed with all sorts of guns; 300 RUM, 338 winmag, 300 winmag, 7mm WSM, 243, 204, 22-250... etc etc. Some how that 25-06 just seems to tear crap up. It doesn't sound like much on paper but it will appear you shot it with some sort of cannon. It may not have the best bullet selection but how many different bullets do you actually shoot in your gun? If you like to destroy stuff at high velocity this is a good round. Works great on deer too 600+ yards no problem. I also have a custom 300 RUM, but both guns have their place.
Hope you're not squeemish, this is what an 85gr nosler does above 3600 fps, actually I am not going to post it, if you want to see it though let me know.

Your post duplicates exactly what I woulda said. Ive only shot one coyote with the 85gr bullets and it was messy enough I didnt even try it again. PDs and the 85gr bullet are really cool, most just vaporize while some it vaporizes everything but the skin and the skin flying through the air reminds me of a pizza crust being thrown into the air.
I prefer the 100's though, they hold together mucho better and velocities "for me" arent much different between them.

My buddy was a 270 fan until I let him use my 2506 a couple times. Ive had 6mm cartridges several times (including a 6mmx284) and they cant do what the 2506 can(im talking "real world" performance). The bullet selection for the 270 isnt any better than the 2506 either. I have; on the other hand, been thinking about a 6.5-06AI just for tickles.

For the 100gr nosler bal-tip bullets I was shooting rel 22 with fed 210M primers.

Heres my question, where are you finding the Fed 210M primers?

The 25-06 is really humming along there isn't it?

Ive got friends in high places. ;D

forget the 6.506AI build a 6.5 remington mag it will out do the 6.5-06 & the 6.5x284 and run right beside the 264 mag and beat it too upto the 129 weights. It will do what you are seeing now with your 25-06 AI.
Even P O ackley his self said the 6.5-06 AI was not good. the 85 & the 100's in 264 dia. has a better BC than your 25's do

okie2
01-10-2010, 07:46 PM
thanks for putting your insults in the nicest way possible. i'm going to have to google inferiortity complex, cuz i don't know what it means. hahahaha. i'm kidding, listen let me apoligize if i offended anyone. outlaw you seem like a very knowledgable guy, but and in all honesty a 30" barrel heck, thats jst not very menuveralbe at all. one of my custom guns has a 26" barrel and it's almost too damn long to hunt with. no i do not own a 25-06 i've shot them and i like the fact they have a light recoil and plenty of power. yes, even i will admit it has one of the best reputations for a long range deer caliber. i have checked into gettin one on more than one occasion and all the load data tht i have ever looked at stops at around 3400fps with lighter bullets. trust me, i have done more than my fair share of reasearch in pursuite of the perfect cartridge, damn near drove me nutz. my main reason for coming here was cuz i was thinking about building a 257ai, cuz performance matches that of a 25-06 and i was hoping to be to stuff it in a short action. 70-85gr. bullets should blow up better than outta a .243. long story short from your original postings i jst find it really hard to beleive that you can go from shooting a 115 bullet at 3400fps to then adding an extra .5gr. and shoot one 15grs lighter and your able to get another 400fps. jst from my experience usually when you get into the higher pressures, velocity gains level off no matter on how much more powder you add. the only thing you gain is a loss in accuracy. can it be done? maybe and you probably did do it, but that is something that is not going to be acheived in every rifle.

since savages are cheap alot of younger guys are on hear looking around and may jst try out what you are saying for themselfs and i'd hate for someone to get their face blown off. somewhere around 55grs is a great starting load for a straight 25-06. you can proly get around 3200-3400fps and that is plenty fast, it's actually overkill. despite all the bull thats been said, there is still some pretty good info here and not to mention pretty entertaining. i never liked reading much, but can read this stuff all day. i've laughed more than been hot headed while typing this and from the very get go i stated i did not want to turn this into a pissing match so don't blame me if you think i high jacked this thread. good luck to all of you and god bless.

I will add if you think you researched far enough on the 25-06 AI and lighter bullets why did you not find the load for the 87 grain bullet at 3,920 feet per second because it will do it. mine did it for 25 years before the throat was gone.
And outlawyote is one of the most respected people on this site ! ! ! ! !

Blue Avenger
01-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Better question is why is Outlawkyote a guest now???

to many lighting strikes, HE requested a vacation.

Apache
01-10-2010, 08:42 PM
He left partly for the benefit of the site.....to keep peace.

Nitroused383
01-20-2010, 07:22 AM
He left partly for the benefit of the site.....to keep peace.

Sad day, one of the most interesting characters on this site, or any site for that matter. I will miss Thad.

okie2
01-28-2010, 03:15 AM
Well I think if you have a 243 and a 270 you dont really need a 25-06. I do think you could get rid of the 243, 270 and the 25-06 will do what both of those guns can.

jst thought i would add that you are mistaken. i would never shoot at anything larger than a mule deer with anything less than at least a 270. especially at longer distances.

I am not mistaken, that is only a matter of your opinion. Animals have not really became much tougher than they were 50-100 years ago. Somewhere along the line people seem to think you need huge magnum calibers to take down these bullet proof animals. Its all about shot placement and being comfortable with what you shoot, practice makes perfect. My Grandpa laughs at me everytime I reload, claiming back in his day all people ever used was .22 Long rifles to kill deer and elk. Look at it this way 22 caliber is .224" in diameter, now look at a 30 cal gun .308" diameter. That is a difference of .084", can you honestly say an animal is going to notice the difference of .084"? 257 to 270 is less than .020" no animal will know the difference, its all in your head and everyone else's. I could understand it if you went from something 1/4" in diameter to a 1" bullet that is a big difference, but not this little differences that you can barely see with your eye. Anything with momentum and penetration will kill if placed in the right spot. I am not saying you should use a 22 caliber for everything but the difference between 25-06 and 270 in the real world is not even noticeable.
[/quote]

I second that on the 22LR that's all my uncle ever used on deer. I never hunt deer with more than 100 grain bullets.
but the 22-250 and the 243 will kill them as will the 25-06 6.5X55 270 win 284 win and the 308
My favorite is the 25-06AI with 87 grainers at 3920 FPS. If you have not tried it don't doubt it one bit.
Also compare it to the 257 Weatherby mag very very close with 10 grains less powder.
And as for the 6.5-06AI you will be much better pleased with the 6.5 Reminhton mag or the 264 win mag. forget the 6.5X284 the 6.5 rem mag will out do it.

okie2
02-06-2010, 08:17 AM
ii can only imagine what a 90 or 100 grain bullet will do in a 270wsm. i'm shooting 140's at 3250fps. those slightly shorter and fatter bullets should blow up better than those outta a 25-06 and i bet i can push 'em at least 3600fps. they're all good man. i jst don't really like long actions and i've always jst thought of the 25 cals. being odd ball, jsk like 270. i actually like a 270 tho. it's a great compromise between 6.5 and .284 cals. i'm shooting 85 grainers outta my 6x47l at around 3350fps, that's plenty fast enough for deer and coyotes. if i go down to varmint weights in the 70 gr. range then i would be hesitant to try my luck on deer, but that would make it 1 hellacious varmints round.

i'm not trying to start a pissing match here, i'm jst simply stating my opinion. see thing is, i jst really hate this one guy i know who brags on his 25-06 way too much. it's all rusted up and worn out and he cant shoot it worth a crap. he also states that with 100 zero he only drops 1.5" at 300yrds. w/ remington soft points. it's a great round, but it's not magical or anything. i guess we will all jst have to shoot whatever makes us happy. ;D

I have a 270 wsm too and love it but take a 90 grain bullet in your 270 and see how close you can get to 3920 fps that the 25-06 AI will do with a 87 grainer and does it with a lot less powder than you will use you will not get close to it.

Rooster 50
02-06-2010, 09:51 PM
I totally agree on the 6.5 Remington Mag. I had one in a Model 700 that I loved. Very accurate and amazingly low recoil. However i couldn't seat the bullets where I wanted them. I am seriously considering taking a Savage 110 in 7mag and rebarreling it to 6.5 Rem Mag. I have tried a dummy cartridge in one and they feed great..

okie2
02-07-2010, 01:04 PM
I totally agree on the 6.5 Remington Mag. I had one in a Model 700 that I loved. Very accurate and amazingly low recoil. However i couldn't seat the bullets where I wanted them. I am seriously considering taking a Savage 110 in 7mag and rebarreling it to 6.5 Rem Mag. I have tried a dummy cartridge in one and they feed great..

GO FOR IT That is exactly what I have now a 110 long action 7mm mag is what it was.
you will have no problems. My barrel is a 26 inch varmit barrel from E R Shaw $155.00 in the white
and cold blue it yourself.
If you don't know it yet the 300 ruger compack mag is the same size as the 6.5 rem mag is and without the belt should make a good 6.5 mag too.
HERE IS MY 110 6.5 REM MAG
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu340/OKIE2-photos/my%20guns/15SAVAGE65MAG.jpg

Origional Sagerat
09-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Outlaw

The Origional Sagerat is on line and says howdy

trappst
09-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Outlaw is no longer with us here.......don't ask why, I missed the whole incident.

Blue Avenger
09-08-2010, 10:05 PM
you can find him on facebook, tomorrow is his birthday!

Origional Sagerat
09-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Bummer

I hunted with him a number of years ago and wanted to let him know that I am still alive. If anybody catches up with him wish him a happy birthday and tell him Sage is ok. I think possum1 used to be on the site we hung out on.

Thanks

O Sagert