PDA

View Full Version : 110 7mm Mag twist rate? (pre accutrigger)

agm1563
12-10-2013, 09:05 AM
I have a 7mm Mag just like the one in the post below and don't have a manual to help me figure out the twist rate. I was wondering if anyone knew, or where to find it. I've looked online and can't find anything except twist rates or newer rifles. Thank you.

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/savage/151247-savage-7mm-rem-mag.html

J.Baker
12-10-2013, 04:20 PM
It will be 1:9.5" the same as the newer ones. The 7mm Rem Mag's been around a long while and the twist rate has stayed the same since it's introduction with most manufacturers using either 1:9", 1:9.25" or 1:9.5".

Cycler
12-11-2013, 01:30 PM
It will be 1:9.5" the same as the newer ones. The 7mm Rem Mag's been around a long while and the twist rate has stayed the same since it's introduction with most manufacturers using either 1:9", 1:9.25" or 1:9.5".
A few years ago Savage changed their 7mm-08 barrels to a 11.5" twist rate which pretty much assured they wouldn't stabilize anything heavier than 140 gr. No one ever seemed to figure out what they were thinking, including Savage's own customer service reps.

After a couple of years the went back to the much more versatile, and common, 9.5" twist rate.

I'm pretty sure they never changed the 7 mm Rem Mag twist.

44magleo
12-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Twist is easy to measure. Use your cleaning rod with a tight patch. Draw a line from one end of the rod to the other. Put the rod in from the muzzle. Push in far enough so the line on the rod is in an easy place to see. Put a mark on the line on the rod at the muzzle. Now push the rod in and watch the line to see one revolution of the rod. Put a second mark at the muzzle. Pull the rod and measure between the two muzzle marks. Repeat a few times to get an average.
Leo