PDA

View Full Version : Small shank short action 300 WSM?

jeffersonv
12-09-2013, 02:20 PM
I am not finding much info on the internet on the do-ability of this configuration. Does that mean this is a crazy idea?
It seemed like a pretty good one to me!

I'd like to do a switch barrel from .243 to 300 WSM on a Savage 4.275" short action.

I've read a 300 WSM can be run on a small shank no problem.

My concerns are as follows -

- SAAMI specs for the 300 WSM shows that I'd need a bolt head that would accommodate .535 in diameter as opposed to .532 for a magnum (.264, 7mm RM, .300 Win Mag, etc.).

The only bolt heads I can find for the WSM family is a CRF (Midway USA), which requires a blade ejector. That is a problem/no go.
I'd like to keep this rifle as a repeater.

That leaves me in the predicament of needing a WSM bolt head in a push feed configuration, OR, can a magnum bolt head (push feed) be altered to work with a WSM cartridge as the regular magnum cartridge is only 3/1000 smaller?

If so, the bolt head would likely be from a long action and have a longer stem.

- Question: Is the bolt head retaining pin the same distance from the lugs on a long action as it is on a short action bolt head?

If so, could the long action stem be machined to the short action length and be good-to-go?

OR, does anyone sell a WSM push feed bolt head for a short action Savage? That would be too easy right?

I understand I will need a longer magnum firing pin and a WSM magazine follower. Is there anything I'm overlooking?

I'll be checking back and I sure appreciate the help!

Thanks.

sinman
12-09-2013, 04:15 PM
PT&G sells the correct bolt head and the cartridge is fine on a small shank. You can also take a 308 barrel and rechamber it. I have done a lot of the 308 bvss barrels this way.

jeffersonv
12-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Oh that's great news sinman. Solves a lot of problems!

I did not see that on the PT&G website. I guess I need to call them?

Thanks.

bootsmcguire
12-09-2013, 10:24 PM
You can also take a standard Savage Magnum LA bolt head and have the stem shortened to the SA head length.

I am running my 6mm-WSM on a standard bolt head and it works great.

If you can get the Push feed WSM bolthead from PTG that would probably be better, but the standard one will work ok.

moecarama
12-09-2013, 10:45 PM
I am building a 300wsm on a small shank S/A. It will be a repeater and fed with alpha mags. The FVSS barrel; I have is going to be rechambered, just need to send it off since everything else is confirmed for the build. The illusive short action pushfeed magnum boltface is out there, but the individual that makes them has not responded in several weeks, so I am taking a different approach. I am going to purchase long action magnum bolt face and have it shortened by 0.125. A members here just might have the boltface I am looking for........good luck with the build!

jeffersonv
12-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Yeah guys I was asking about shortening the stem and didn't know if the retaining pin was the same on both the long and short action bolt heads. It seems that's the case.

I guess the bolt face on the magnum bolt head is close enough in size to handle the 3/1000 difference between a standard magnum case rim and the WSM case rim?

Great feedback. Thanks so much. Very encouraging.

stangfish
12-10-2013, 07:00 AM
Sinman, Are you certain?

sinman
12-10-2013, 11:43 AM
PT&G website is wrong right now, they did offer the option before but right now they have shank sizes listed wrong for the options they have. But anyways I am sure they can make them and you can trim a LA down for a SA.

yobuck
12-10-2013, 12:02 PM
i went thru all that with a small shank action. my advise would be buy the correct action to start with.
the magazine was the major problem in my case.

wbm
12-10-2013, 12:31 PM
You can also take a standard Savage Magnum LA bolt head and have the stem shortened to the SA head length.

Did just that. Easy to do and it works great!

moecarama
12-10-2013, 08:48 PM
i went thru all that with a small shank action. my advise would be buy the correct action to start with.
the magazine was the major problem in my case.

I started with the correct action as it was a large shank S/A, 300wsm, but picked up a large shank 30" .308 tgt barrel. I just swapped the actions and bolts removed standing ejector and now have that 308 for F/TR. The 308 on small shank is on it's way to be rechambered to 300wsm. I cant wait til this rig comes together..........needing that magnum bolt head!