PDA

View Full Version : Another Model 11 VT Stock Question

JMitchell
12-09-2013, 10:51 AM
I recently purchased a Savage Model 11 VT in .308. This is a dealer exclusive through Dicks Sporting Goods. It is a model 11 with a heavy barrel, accutrigger, no accustock, and detachable box magazine. The detachable magazine looks like an Axis type with the magazine release consisting of a plastic clip attached to the magazine. The bolt release is in front of the trigger guard. I am happy with the rifle, but I am going to replace the stock. I am finding the process of locating an aftermarket stock confusing and somewhat frustrating. :mad:

I have narrowed the stock choices down to an HS precision or Choate Tactical as Bell and Carlson only makes a blind magazine type stock for this rifle (I wish Bell and Carlson would make a stock inleted for Savage DBM rifles).

I recently contacted Choate and asked them which Tactical stock would fit my rifle. They emailed me back and asked if the magazine release was attached to the magazine, or was separate and located in front of the magazine. When I told them the release was part of the magazine, they emailed me back and said they do not make a stock that will fit my Savage 11 VT. This is confusing to me because elsewhere on the internet, and in this forum, I have seen a number of postings of model 11 VT's that people have dropped into Choate Tactical stocks. So, is there a Choate Tactical stock that will fit the Savage VT, or will it fit with some modification. If there is some modification, is it minor?

cpurick
12-09-2013, 05:12 PM
This is what you need:
http://www.riflestock.com/choate_FAQ.html

Q. How do I tell if my Savage rifle is center feed or stagger feed?
A. The easiest way is to take the action out of the rifle and see if the magazine box is attached to the bottom of the receiver, that would make it the older stagger feed action. If your magazine box stays in the stock and is held in with a L shaped bracket then your action is center feed.

Caution: If you are ordering a short action Savage stock check the center to center on the action screws, if your stock is the new center feed with a measurement of 4.410 inches you will need to order the stock for the Center feed feed rifle. The standard short action stock with 4.257 action screw spacing will not fit.

If you have a VT11, I believe you're going to find you have the new center feed with 4.410 spacing (the one with the bolt release at the front of the trigger guard).

multitoes
12-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Does your current stock have a plastic frame assembly that the magazine clips into ? This piece can be removed from the stock.
If so, this will fit in the Choate tactical stock and your mag will snap into it as it does now.
Or you will need to order one from Savage.

A better was to go is to get the metal frame assembly and the necessary parts to convert your existing magazine from the axis style.
This setup is much more robust and also you can get 10 round mags for it.
Or buy one of the aftermarket DBM setups.

Or you can convert the rifle to a blind mag style using your existing magazine box.

Texas Solo
12-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Does your current stock have a plastic frame assembly that the magazine clips into ? This piece can be removed from the stock.
If so, this will fit in the Choate tactical stock and your mag will snap into it as it does now.

This answers your question. Somewhere along the line, Savage began the process of including the "bottom metal" as part of the stock. After reading a very good thread on this site, I was aware of this and looked at various rifles within DSG's inventory until I found one with the bottom metal (plastic) as a removable part. If I want to, I can drop the barreled action into a Choate stock I have.
Some have said that the newer style began with the serial numbers starting with "J", but I found this to be incorrect, as my buddy just bought a "J" serial number 308 and had removable bottom metal.
If you have the newer style, you'll have to order the bottom metal and mag from Savage to make the Choate stock work.
The parts for a model #10 will do fine.

JMitchell
12-09-2013, 07:59 PM
This answers your question. Somewhere along the line, Savage began the process of including the "bottom metal" as part of the stock. After reading a very good thread on this site, I was aware of this and looked at various rifles within DSG's inventory until I found one with the bottom metal (plastic) as a removable part. If I want to, I can drop the barreled action into a Choate stock I have.
Some have said that the newer style began with the serial numbers starting with "J", but I found this to be incorrect, as my buddy just bought a "J" serial number 308 and had removable bottom metal.
If you have the newer style, you'll have to order the bottom metal and mag from Savage to make the Choate stock work.
The parts for a model #10 will do fine.

Thanks for the info. My rifle has a removable bottom plastic surround and magazine. It sounds like it should fit in the Choate from the information provided above.

By the way, this is the respose I recieved from Choate that prompted my post:

"-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 7:09 AM
To: Jeff Mitchell
Subject: Re: Riflestock.com Web Inquiry

We don't have a stock to fit that type magazine.
Thanks

On 11/25/2013 4:51 PM, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> The magazine release is part of the actualmagazine. It is not in front of themagazine well. The bolt release is infront of, and part of, the trigger guard.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Choate [mailto:ccmmtt@ipa.net (ccmmtt@ipa.net)]
> Sent: Monday, November 18, 2013 8:30 AM
> To: Jeff Mitchell
> Subject: Re: Riflestock.com Web Inquiry
>
> Does your detachable magazine rifle have themagazine release button as part to the magazine or is the button attached tothe front of the mag well?
> Thanks

Texas Solo
12-09-2013, 10:05 PM
On 11/25/2013 4:51 PM, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> The magazine release is part of the actual magazine. It is not in front of the magazine well.

"My rifle has a removable bottom plastic surround and magazine"

This is like mine. As long as the bottom metal is removable and not an integral part of the stock, the Choate should be good to go.

cpurick
12-09-2013, 10:48 PM
I'm trying hard to understand this, but I have to admit that terms like "bottom metal (plastic)" aren't helping.

I'm inferring that there are two magazine types, and the type without a release button can be used with the Choate. I think I understand that this mag can be used if you transfer the removable well from your old stock to the new one.

The flip side, as I read it, is that the second type of magazine, with a release button directly on the mag, fits into a well that cannot be removed from the stock. If you have one of these rifles, your only option for using a magazine with the stock is to acquire a mag and well of the first type. Do I have this right? Am I even close?

My own rifle has a release on the magazine itself. The only bolt I see on the magazine well is an action bolt. I've never tried to remove the well from the stock, but I have no reason to believe it can be removed.

Texas Solo
12-10-2013, 08:07 AM
Try thinking of "bottom metal" as a removable magazine well. As long as it is removable as a separate part from the stock, you can use the Choate stock. Don't get hung up on where the mag release button is, there's more than one type.
My model #10 has removable bottom metal made of actual metal, and the mag release button is part of the bottom metal (mag well)
My 11VT has removable bottom metal (plastic) but the mag release button is part of the mag itself. (Axis type)
Forget where the button is...all that's important is whether or not the bottom metal (mag well) is removable.

multitoes
12-10-2013, 12:41 PM
I used the term "frame assembly" because that is what Savage calls them ; it is the "bottom metal" -- so to speak... ;o). As stated above.
I have the Choate stock and have fitted the plastic frame assembly in it as a test ; it fed fine with the axis magazine. I have set it up with the metal parts and it works great. The plastic is sure lighter though.

I have the part numbers for the pieces needed for both plastic and metal setups as I ordered a bunch of this stuff from the Savage parts store. ; I can dig them up if you need. Be aware that the trigger guards and metal frame assemblies have evolved as well...
My stock needs the older narrower T.G.

tbarnby
01-31-2014, 04:24 PM
There never seems to be a definitive answer to this question, so I figured I'd try. I ordered a Choate Tactical stock for Savage Short Action, with removable magazine, and the 11VT action bolted directly in with no inletting or modification what so ever. Just snapped the junk mag well from the 11VT stock into the Choate Tactical, screwed it all together and all is fine. Now, I just have to order some decent CDI bottom metal and a magazine for this and the rifle and I'll be comfortable with the quality. The VT is "okay." It's nothing special, but I always upgrade the base, rings, scope, stock and bottom metal anyway...so the cheaper the original platform, the better off I am.

marathv
02-28-2014, 01:58 PM
There never seems to be a definitive answer to this question, so I figured I'd try. I ordered a Choate Tactical stock for Savage Short Action, with removable magazine, and the 11VT action bolted directly in with no inletting or modification what so ever. Just snapped the junk mag well from the 11VT stock into the Choate Tactical, screwed it all together and all is fine. Now, I just have to order some decent CDI bottom metal and a magazine for this and the rifle and I'll be comfortable with the quality. The VT is "okay." It's nothing special, but I always upgrade the base, rings, scope, stock and bottom metal anyway...so the cheaper the original platform, the better off I am.

I would like to do the same with my 11VT. Was the stock you replaced this on:
250601 CNC machined aluminum bedding block molded into the stock
Savage Centerfeed Short Action 4.411

Thanks!!

RatMag
03-02-2014, 10:08 PM
I purchased a Savage V/T as well. I placed the barreled action into a VLP stock with the bottom metal from a 12LRP. I am still working out the details for the bolt release, but it can be done easily enough. I love the ergonomics of the VLP stock, and she just plain looks great!!

There are many options out there to work with what you have, you just have to keep an eye out on the deals. Best of luck!!

DK

Midnight_Ryder
03-31-2014, 03:13 PM
I just purchased the VT yesterday and want to upgrade the stock. Mine had the removable bottom metal (plastic) as well and I want to upgrade that to (metal) metal. Could someone provide me with the part number for this or at least point me in the right direction? Thanks Ryan