PDA

View Full Version : Youth Stocks

HRstretch
02-28-2010, 06:24 PM
My 20 yr old daughter is only 4'11" if I srtech her out tight. That being said none of my stocks come close to fit her. I plan on building her a gun soon but in the mean time where can I find a youth stock for a staggered feed long action action?

I also could use a youth stock in Ruger 77 MKII and Remington 700 BDL/CDL LA?

Any help will be appreciated?

hotbrass
02-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Why waste time and money looking for an interim stock, if its not her gun, then buy her a gun for her own so you can fit it to her. Or give her one of yours and cut the stock to fit.

I have my mothers guns and my 5', 10 yr old son uses them. All the stocks were custom fit, she is 5'2".

BTW, I shot my mothers 28 ga 11-48 and it made me cry. Always remember to move your thumb from in front of your nose, it is guaranteed to bring tears to your eyes!

HRstretch
02-28-2010, 07:50 PM
I guess the part of building her a gun soon eluded you? I was looking at this route, that is if I can find a youth stock to fit one of my guns she can get in practice with it until I complete the build.

Also a stock, cut to her size for a $100 is going to be cheaper than a build right now. Sorry I do not have the unlimited funds to buy her a new gun at the moment.

hotbrass
02-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Nothing eluded me.

Youth stocks are really not any cheaper than regular stocks unless you can get one for free or used. If you are looking for used, you might try the classifieds.

You obviously have a donor gun or action. If its right for her, then give it to her and cut the stock down to fit her. And buy yourself a new gun for being such a great father. ;D

psharon97
02-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Have you talked to sharpshootersupply to see what they can do for? Most drop in stocks that I know of are for adults.

HRstretch
02-28-2010, 09:12 PM
I guess for now I will get a cheap unfinished replacement stock and cut it down to fit her. I was thinking of doing this to either a Remington 700 270 with a brake or a Ruger MII 257 Roberts?

When she gets more serious to shooting we will start her build. I think one of my biggest problems is the fit of my guns to her, which they don't at all. If she shoots a gun that fits her and her female anatomy better she will be more comfortable and maybe shoot more.

psharon97
02-28-2010, 10:46 PM
have you started her off with a basic no nonsense 22? Most adult rifles even are small and compact, shouldn't be much of a problem for that.

HRstretch
02-28-2010, 11:25 PM
yep. Done the 22 rifle and pistol thing. She is shooting my Tika 22-250 and my late wife's Ruger 257 Roberts. My dad's 270 has a muzzle break and I think that would be a good one for her as well. They are just too long. I have the old factory Remington stock for the 270, i plan on cutting it down to see if she can handle it. Looking for a factory Ruger stock so I can cut it down for her to try as well. Cant find any replacement Tika stocks at the moment.

I will build her a Savage just don't know what caliber yet. I think building her a lt wt 257 Roberts on a 110 action with a 22" sportster barrel will serve her well for a long while. Don't see her hunting much more than deer and pigs and that caliber will do that and more.

psharon97
03-01-2010, 09:40 PM
for someone small like that I would suggest using a short action for her. Maybe 7mm/08 would be a good caliber. just my .02

cowboyarcher
03-03-2010, 12:12 PM
I have gotten Savage youth stocks from Northlander for my finace, and I bet you could find an unfinished Boyds on ebay (most of their seconds are over there now) for the other actions, then cut it down. Would be more work, but you could add a better recoil pad while your at it.