PDA

View Full Version : Removing a Savage barrel nut - barrel spins in vise

Pages : 1 [2]

jonbearman
12-09-2013, 10:19 AM
I use a barrel vise made by a member on accurate shooter and 2 index cards,tighten to 25 ft pounds and smack the barrel nut wrench and they all come off.I also use a reciever wrench to stabilize the mess.I havent had one that would not come off except another brand that I heated slightly as it had loctite on the threads.

granite1
12-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Using pine with a v cut is part of your problem. Pine is to soft and as someone already said you aren't getting enough contact(grip) with the barrel.

bsekf
12-12-2013, 11:00 AM
By holding the barrel you are holding the wrong end....however....when holding the action you must be very careful you do not bend the action rails. Having said that, I soak the threads in Liquid Wrench, wrap the barrel with duct tape and put it in hardwood blocks in the vise and hit the wrench with the biggest hammer I can handle with one hand. If that doesn't work....cut the nut off with a Dermel Tool.

Bill

FW Conch
12-12-2013, 12:18 PM
+1 bsekf ! Almost all barrels are "tapered". I only tried to clamp the barrel once and saw the "futility" of that situation. I always clamp the action, right behind the nut. And yes- oak...not pine! This has been "beat to death" a bunch, but as long as there is a "brother in need" we will always be here for him, won't we ! ;-)

txbdyguard
12-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Step 1. Remove action wrench handle
2. Throw handle under bench
3. Put action wrench in bench vice
4. Remove front scope base from action
5. Put action in vise
6. Use wrench to remove nut
7. If barrel is stubborn use rubber strap wrench

I haven't had to use a hammer on any of mine.

FW Conch
12-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Lets face it.... BillPa has the "all time, hands down", "bee's knee's" set up! I hope I am as well prepared if I ever break down another "first timer" ! ;-)