PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: NEED HELP ! ! ! Model 99F. . . looking for new "old" wood.

OFFSHORE
12-06-2013, 10:50 PM
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, but have been a "Lurker" for a while and could use some advice/direction on finding a stock for my Model 99F. I was staying at a friends hunt camp this past weekend and my friend slid our rifles between the mattress and box spring while we went into town with his grand kids. Well, we came back and went out on the porch, meanwhile inside, the kids were jumping on the bed (not knowing). Later that day when it was time to go sit on a stand, we pulled our rifles out and my stock was broke on one side of the tang and cracked on the other! It was the lacquer finish with the pressed-in checkering (which I never really cared for). I would like to find a stock and forend that are checkered and in a oil satin finish and WITH OUT the Monte Carlo cheek piece, also in some used wood in good shape to match my old gun. Numrich has several stocks/forends available, but if they're checkered they have the Monte Carlo cheek piece that I don't want, plus it looks "new". Anyone have what I'm looking for or know where I could find it. . .PLEASE. . .let me know. Thanks in advance.

J.Baker
12-07-2013, 12:36 AM
You're going to be hard pressed to find what you're looking for. All of what Numrick's offers is new (made by Boyds) and will require proper fitting to your gun. Best bet will be to buy new non-checkered to get the straight comb you want, then pay someone to fit, checker and finish.

Here's a few options on new replacements.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=9417

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Plate-pics/Stevens-stocks/Rifle-stocks.htm

http://www.shop.macongunstocks.com/Savage-1899-Savage-99-Savage-24_c53.htm

IIRC Macon offers fitting and checkering services in-house.

OFFSHORE
12-07-2013, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the info Baker, I have already looked at two of them. WOW. . .going with Macon I would have $650+ invested and 6/8 month wait! ! ! I would be ahead of the game to buy one of the complete guns on Gunbroker for $500 and keep the rest for spare parts. Well, I guess I have a lot of internet and gun show scouting to do. I will keep my hopes up. Thanks again.

dc3085
12-07-2013, 11:58 AM
I haven't ordered from here but am planning to soon for a browning bbr I got on the super cheap. They say the stocks are made to fit but assume that you would have to do some minor fitting work.

http://rifle-stocks.com/

OFFSHORE
12-08-2013, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the link, dc3085. I looked over their site and there were some pretty nifty looking rifle stocks on there! I will send them an e-mail and see what they can do for me. I also wouldn't mind that "Wolverine" stock in the "Autumn Leaves" color for my 6.5. Prices were decent too. I got my fingers crossed! ! !

J.Baker
12-09-2013, 01:02 AM
A warning about Richards based on numerous experiences posted here and on other sites...

1. Their stocks are delivered to you pretty rough - meaning there's a lot more finish work to them than those from Boyds and the others.
2. They're known to be very slow in delivering - as in months later than they said they would
3. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired - rarely return phone calls or emails asking for status on orders.

OFFSHORE
12-09-2013, 06:34 AM
Baker,
Thank you for the heads-up on Richards. If thats the case, maybe I shouldn't get to excited. I did put an e-mail out to them on what I was looking for. . .we'll see what comes about.

It was mentioned that Boyd's makes the stocks for Numrich, but on their web site they only offer a straight grip stock for the 99, not a pistol grip. Should I contact them and ask if they can make what I need, or is it exclusive only to Numrich?

dc3085
12-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Thats good to know about Richards, I hadn't spoken to or heard from anyone with experience with them. Luckily I am A. not in any hurry and B. a carpenter by trade so it should work fine for me (the price is right). I will have to check boyds again or give them a call but if i remember correctly they don't make the stock I need since browning dumped the bbr for the A bolt circa 1985.

seabeesbob
12-31-2013, 11:16 PM
I have a 99E and would like new stock also, I have the Monte Carlo also and was wondering what the difference would between it and the straight stock, such as sights, scope etc.

OFFSHORE
01-01-2014, 07:27 AM
I have a 99E and would like new stock also, I have the Monte Carlo also and was wondering what the difference would between it and the straight stock, such as sights, scope etc.

The Monte Carlo is just a cheek weld on the stock. . .as far as a "difference" in your sighting I don't think you would notice any. Numrich has what you're looking for. I prefer the regular stock, but with hand/lazer checkering, that is why I have not ordered from them. I understand Boyd's does all the stock/forends for Numrich and I am going to wait till after the holidays and contact them about some new wood for my 99F. I do not see anything listed on their web sight, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck with your project and HAPPY NEW YEAR to you, and all.