PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a Go - NO GO Issue ?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

wlleven
12-27-2013, 12:23 PM
Interested to hear the outcome on this. I would be astonished if it turned out to be the headspace gages were wrong. Seems like that's a major, major lawsuit just waiting to happen when somebody gets an eyeball full of hot gas!

Will call the manufacturer of the head space gauge when I get back to work next week.

In the meantime, after head spacing on the Lapua new brass, the gun shoots lights out, I'm very pleased, will shoot it again tomorrow.

wll

earl39
12-27-2013, 12:28 PM
jon my understanding is he used virgin brass and factory ammo to set headspace which when I checked my new lapua grendel brass would cause my gauges to appear out of spec but when measuring the protrusion from the chamber they (the gauges) measure correctly. When measuring the protrusion of new brass it is anywhere from 2-7 thousandths off depending on the piece of brass. I for one will be highly surprised if the go gauge is wrong. While i am going to assume he now has a headspace that is tighter than sammi spec the only real downfall will be the lack of reaching the full potential of the cartridge due to the powder capacity being reduced by the overly tight headspace. All that said i still want to know if (A) he checked the gauge protrusion from the chamber and (B) what the manufacturer said about the returned gauges.

wlleven
01-08-2014, 01:42 PM
Well heard back from the gauge manufacturer and their gauges were on spec within .0002 ..... very precise.

What was not on spec was the Lapua brass, being .006 undersized and the Hornady being .002 undersized.

The hornady is fine but the lapua is a little to short. My head spacing using the Lapua brass and very lightly touching was the correct thing to do the manufacturer of the gauge and I agreed. I told him I like to keep both my eyes and all my fingers, and he feels the same ;- )

Just an update.

wll

earl39
01-09-2014, 04:39 PM
Well now we know. Thanks for the update Wil