PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a Go - NO GO Issue ?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

stangfish
12-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Now I'm hungry.

earl39
12-08-2013, 05:05 PM
It's your turn to cook.

sharpshooter
12-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Well, I'm having chicken...

stangfish
12-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Those are the salami specs I used !

wll

Wlleven is having Salami...

BillPa
12-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Wlleven is having Salami...

Who's is in charge of the beer?

wlleven
12-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Oh my Gosh .. LOL, LOL, LOL .....

Very funny, I should learn to spell ;-)

Maybe I used Salami specs instead of SAAMi specs, and that's my problem ... LOL, LOL, LOL

wll

davemuzz
12-08-2013, 09:06 PM
It better be good beer….no cheap stuff.

wlleven
12-10-2013, 03:45 PM
Well I just got some Hornady 123gr A-Max 6.5 grendel ammo in.

I set my barrel in a wooden vice block and locked her down ... I then chambered a round of the brand new Hornady factory ammo ... It chambered just great, and ejected just perfectly !

After doing this and chambering the Lapua, it is quite obvious the gauge was over sized. Yes, I tried to chamber the GO gauge again today and no way it fits.

I will be sending the GO, NO GO gauges back, along with a phone call right after I get through with this post !

If weather permits I will test her out this weekend and give back velocity reports with this factory ammo.

wll

wlleven
12-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Well I just got some Hornady 123gr A-Max 6.5 Grendel ammo in.

I set my barrel in a wooden vice block and locked her down ... I then chambered a round of the brand new Hornady factory ammo ... It chambered just great, and ejected just perfectly !

After doing this and chambering the Lapua, it is quite obvious the gauge was over sized. Yes, I tried to chamber the GO gauge again today and no way it fits.

I will be sending the GO, NO GO gauges back, along with a phone call right after I get through with this post !

If weather permits I will test her out this weekend and give back velocity reports with this factory ammo.

wll

After I posted this I called the company that I purchased the gauges from, they were very nice and then gave me the # of the manufacturer of the gauges.

I called and had a nice conversation with the owner. I will be sending the gauges back, along with a few Lapua cases and a couple of Hornady factory rounds.

He was interested to see what is going on ..... so am I

I will keep you posted for sure !

wll

stangfish
12-10-2013, 05:51 PM
I am interested in who the manufacturer is. If it is DK from PTG I am shocked that both gauges are incorrect.

wlleven
12-10-2013, 06:09 PM
I am interested in who the manufacturer is. If it is DK from PTG I am shocked that both gauges are incorrect.

stangfish,

I greatly respect your interest in whose gauges these are, but as a manufacturer myself and having done aerospace parts in the past, I know how sometimes something gets by, no matter how tight your QC may be.

My goal in this is just to have them check it, if wrong they will fix it, if the gauge is in spec then there is another issue. Being the new Hornady ammo and the Lapua brass fit and the GO gauge had issues, that raises questions.

I have been wrong before, so we will see.

wll

handirifle
12-11-2013, 03:47 AM
Well not its imossible, not probable, but sure does sound suspicious. Good luck on this thing.

earl39
12-11-2013, 06:40 AM
I am still wondering if you pulled the barrel and measured the protrusion like sharpshooter suggested but would like to know what the manufacturer says about the gauges.

wlleven
12-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Gauges, two rounds of Hornady ammo and three Lapua brass sent off 2nd day air to the manufacturer, along with a nice letter.

wll

ralphob
12-14-2013, 05:08 PM
I just read all of this thread and got really nervous that maybe something could be wrong with the headspace on my 6.5 grendel as I simply relied on my PTG go gauge to headspace it. I have no signs of trouble but this thread got me worried and I have had several problems with the bolt heads PTG has sent me. Since I have two more 6.5 grendel barrels I put my go gauge in both of them and checked the protrusion as Sharpshooter recommended. My go gauge was right on a .125 protrusion on both barrels so I am going to assume my gauge is correct and not pull the barrel off the one I built to check it.

wlleven
12-15-2013, 03:28 AM
I just read all of this thread and got really nervous that maybe something could be wrong with the headspace on my 6.5 grendel as I simply relied on my PTG go gauge to headspace it. I have no signs of trouble but this thread got me worried and I have had several problems with the bolt heads PTG has sent me. Since I have two more 6.5 grendel barrels I put my go gauge in both of them and checked the protrusion as Sharpshooter recommended. My go gauge was right on a .125 protrusion on both barrels so I am going to assume my gauge is correct and not pull the barrel off the one I built to check it.

It maybe my setup is different. being this was my first build I did not want to take anything for granted. Like I mentioned I head spaced off the Lapua case and everything is fine. You can see my 3 shot test group on another thread. It is only at 50 yds but .185 ctc I can live with ;- )

I mentioned that I spent a lot of time talking to the old bench rest guys, who seem to spend their lives removing and putting on barrels .... they tend to head space carefully on a case, as it is going to be used just for that gun and chamber.

I would imagine I will hear back from the gauge manufacturer this upcoming Monday or Tuesday.

wll

FW Conch
12-15-2013, 09:27 AM
ralphob, don't create any paronia in your shooting life because of reading this thread. If your cases don't chamber, you don't have enough head space. If your cases chamber, with .002" to .004" clearance, your headspace is perfect. Then take all of the cases you have and cycle them through your action, and your double perfect. It doesn't matter if you set the headspace with a go gauge, a fired casing, a new casing, or by "guess work"(not recommend) as long as the mentioned tolerance is achieved. Headspace is a big deal in rifles with shouldered barrels. The barrel nut took 99% of that big deal away. The perfect headspace,IMHO, is "zero". The headspace in all of my chambers, and casings is zero because all of my casings are "fire formed" to the chamber. Everyone out here who has ever fired Factory Loads, has probably touched off a round with "too much" head space, because they are manufactured to SAMMI specks, and some of them end up way on the low end of the tolerance. That's why it's called a "tolerance". The system can "tolerate" a "little" "too much".

This site needs a FAQ, or a "stickie" devoted to Headspace to take away the confusion.....JMHO ;-)......Jim

earl39
12-26-2013, 11:36 PM
I know it is the holiday season but has there been any word back from the gauge manufacturer yet? Inquiring minds want to know.

jonbearman
12-27-2013, 12:58 AM
Out of curiosity,did you by chance size your brass? If you did,could you have pushed the shoulder too far back which is a common mistake if you really dont know how to set your die.I did it once and induced a headspace issue.

12-27-2013, 06:15 AM
Interested to hear the outcome on this. I would be astonished if it turned out to be the headspace gages were wrong. Seems like that's a major, major lawsuit just waiting to happen when somebody gets an eyeball full of hot gas!