PDA

View Full Version : Stock for Target Action for purposes of F/TR

overthere
12-05-2013, 07:34 PM
I have some questions about stocks for the Savage Target Action.

Are there any good 'drop-in' non-Savage stocks that fit the 3.44 inch hole spacings? Similarly are there any good 'drop-in' non-Savage stocks that fit the 4 inch hole spacings? I am trying to get an idea of whether there is a big difference in the after-market support for these two different hole spacings.

With 'drop-in' I mean a stock that was created for the purpose of specifically supporting the Savage Target Action (all three action screws) without having to do a lot of work / reshaping.

The purpose of this build would be an F/TR rifle in 308 with a 30 inch bull barrel for shooting 600 - 1000 yards. I am looking to preferably stay in the $500 - $600 range for the stock.

Any input / recommendations would be appreciated.

Dennis
12-05-2013, 08:12 PM
There seem to be more choices for the 4.40 3 screw PTA actions, JMO.

If you order the stock, inlet it for what ever you want.

Dennis

MarTay6
12-12-2013, 10:13 AM
I just yesterday ordered a semi-inletted stock from http://www.masterclassstocks.com/semiinletted.html after doing a lot of searching for my almost-identical build. Alex is a world-class stockmaker for competition stocks- and a GREAT guy to deal with. Call him and talk to him about your project. Mine- Savage Target action- tuned/trued by SSS, 28" Brux barrel in 6.5mm Creedmoor- in a Masterclass High Power Prone stock. He's inletting a Whidden aluminum bedding block for me, which will make it easier to complete the build. He will do anything from a blank to a completely finished stock in composites or wood. He has a good reputation, fair prices- and reasonable delivery times in today's market. I think I'll be looking at around a 4 month delivery time.
Wes